Forums    General Discussions    Any of you guys collect or want old vinyl records?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Any of you guys collect or want old vinyl records?
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Went through my vinyl album collection while cleaning out my garage.

Some of it was originally mine, some of it was 'donated' by my friendly neighbor who is a trash guy and picks up interesting things for me.

I have a huge set of older 33's, Ray Conniff, one Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and a bunch of Country Western, including Tammy Wynette. Also a couple of Glenn Miller records.

Anyone care for this stuff?

Most of it is in pretty good shape. Record is in dust sleeves, and quite a few of the albums are still in plastic wrap, though they are opened.

This is a freebie, I will have to look into shipping if anyone is interested.

Hate to throw anything of value away, even if the value is purely sentimental to someone...

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Windsor I think your LP's have about as much interest as $3 million Cray 3 computers, my old Hammond M-3 organ or my wifes huge collection of VHS tapes.

When Deb's dad passed a couple years ago he left some 3000 lp's. All great ones, Nancy Wilson, George Shearing with Mel Torme, tons of lounge music heavy on the bongos and Tihiti sounding big bands.. What you would hear back in the 60's at some west coach seaside bar with a lot of fish nets and those big glass floater things hanging on the wall. God, I've seen a million of those places...(I was playing drums, boooring gigs).

Anyway, nobody wanted those LPs. Not the library, Goodwill wouldn't even take them. Such is the passing of time.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
But...............vinyl still sounds better. I have several CD versions of the same performance that I have on vinyl, and vinyl always sounds better. CDs started out horrible, and slowly got better, but still not as good as vinyl. It is not just the medium, but is also the equipment. Many of the best CD players have an analog output section, and some even have a tube output stage.

Hard to beat tjhe convenience of CDs, though.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
quote:
But...............vinyl still sounds better

I hear what you say Bill and have no disagreement. I have heard that from many. However, I would guess that most of us on this site are over 40, probably over 50.. Unless our last name ends with Bernstein, or Yo Ma..(or is that middle and last name) I am guess our auditory equipment generally will not hear the difference.

I have an Altec Lansing 4 speaker + woofer set up on my computer and I personally thing it is the best sounding music through these speakers I have heard. But my ears are much less than perfect.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
quote:
But...............vinyl still sounds better

I hear what you say Bill and have no disagreement. I have heard that from many. However, I would guess that most of us on this site are over 40, probably over 50.. Unless our last name ends with Bernstein, or Yo Ma..(or is that middle and last name) I am guess our auditory equipment generally will not hear the difference.

I have an Altec Lansing 4 speaker + woofer set up on my computer and I personally thing it is the best sounding music through these speakers I have heard. But my ears are much less than perfect.

Not so sure on that. I am past social security age, and have a very bad case of Airport Ears and Shooter's Ears. But I still can hear the differences between cables, differences between types of coupling capacitors, all manner of things.

A number of my audiophile and experimenting friends are similar in that regard.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not so sure on that. I am past social security age, and have a very bad case of Airport Ears and Shooter's Ears. But I still can hear the differences between cables, differences between types of coupling capacitors, all manner of things.

A number of my audiophile and experimenting friends are similar in that regard.

For unamplified vocal or orchestral music, I still prefer vinyl. Now I do have tube amps and most of the other goodies of the period on the system and as Bill H. says, I even paid attention to the cables and the room. Heck one day I'll have to get a Le Corbusier chair like the one used in the old Memorex add showing a person sitting in the "perfect" location to listen. Ok not a real Le Corbusier, an IKEA knock off.

Now for those bootleg versions of Led Zeppelin, the mechanical recordings of 1910 and sadly almost any recording of Americana, blue grass and much of our pop music, that have a real place in our musical repertoire, the recording process was soooooo bad CD is the way to go.

Yes I feel that we are losing some wonderful sound that was available on vinyl but gosh there were so few of us to buy this carefully crafted stuff in the first place I clearly understand and here is where we draw a Barth parallel.

So if anyone has Vinyl:

Everest recordings, this was a company that recorded to film rather than tape, I will buy your old Everest vinyl.

Any single mike German stuff, being German the back of the record cover will tell you this. The best stuff was from the 50s and 60s.

There are quite a few more lyrical and orchestral recording of the period that are just wonderful, if you have some stuff let me know.

More to the point this stuff (99.999% of this is clasical music) sells for $3.00 to $90.00, it depends what it is. It has to be a perfect record, not just the dust jacket, the record too.

Now having said this I think sometime in the not too distant future I will find a digital technology that does capture what we heard on Vinyl and then I guess I will just have a closet of old stuff. Not even I can hang on forever.

Nice topic, thanks:

Timothy

P.S. Helpful hint, MP3 is not that technology. So my dear brother,Brian, yes spending $400.00 on that Ipod was I think a bit much. When the Ipods are $29.95 at Zodies I will get one, they do run a long time.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by timnlana:

Now I do have tube amps........

I didn't mention that I am a tube freak for fear of being thought a Luddite, Troglodyte or at least a Digiphobe. But, yeah, I am a tube freak. 845 triodes running Class A, full range electrostatics, the whole bit. I even run some of my CDs onto tape for better sound. My tube gear is like an old motor home, though, rewarding but maintenance intensive.

quote:

any single mike German...

Well, I'm not that much of a Luddite. My preference is for two mikes, preferably oriented à la ORTF or Blumlein. Being a Francophobe these days, NOS would be a decent substitute for ORTF placement.

posted Hide Post
For the other side, my nephew just graduated from high school with honors and a scholorship to the big state university. He is in an almost succesful band. He loves vinyl and is a collector. My sister advised he was searching for the Beatles White Album and couldn't find one there. Great time searching and finding a perfect one here in San Francisco. You should have seen his face when I gave it to him. I'll never forget. So, some advantages living here in San Francisco. joe

Posts: 42 | Location: Canton, TX USA | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post