Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rust
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
has anyone had experience with these two products, heck of a difference in price.

Por 15 and Rust Bullet

------------------

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
POR-15 is a great product, have never uset the other... I use LOCTITE's EXTEND, then topcoat with paint, and/or undercoating spray. EXTEND's polymers actually molecularly bond with the oxides on the metal, sealing the metal from ever rusting again. Truly works incredibly.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Por 15 becomes even more expensive when you consider the short shelf life. It gets even shorter when you open the container. That is why they sell a pack of little bitty containers.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
On what type of rusty surfaces would you use EXTEND? The surface of my LP tank needs to be painted. Some of the body frame rails around the doors need help, as well as some surfaces in the engine and generator compartments. What's the real deal.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I've used Extend with success on almost any surface that doesn't require a fine finish, in boats, autos, & RVs. I've painted bumpers, propane tanks, and rusted quarter panels with Hammerite spray paint, as well. Derusto also works on lightly rusted areas, though I prefer Hammerite. In fact, I don't remember seeing Derusto in the stores recently.

I use Extend on pitted surfaces where I can't easily clean off the deep rust, and Hammerite where most of the rust is on the surface. Extend has to be painted after it's applied. Hammerite is one step.

All of them demand that you clean off any loose scale and surface rust before you apply them.

Careful preparation is 95% of any sucessful paint job, though all of these products are forgiving of anything except loose scale, or heavy surface rust..

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Check out Rust Bullet at www.rustbullet.com

------------------

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I used the POR-15 'kit' for cleaning up my battery tray system. Lots of work, but seems to really have done a great job. The tray with 4 golf cart batteries and new slides really works well also.

------------------
On the road.

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Rust Bullet also sets up in the can. They will soon be marketing a six pack of 1/2 pint cans for those who use a little bit now and then.

Also, the tests seemed to be testing paint applied to clean new metal, not paint applied to rusted metal. I notice that they did not test against the various barium sulphate rust converters, such as Extend, which are for use over previously rusted metal. Most of these products do not recommend their use over bare metal, but need a layer or coating of rust to do their job.

I would question the usefulness of their test data, as it does not apply to protecting an already rusty area.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited May 23, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try autobodystore.com
I'm a hobby car painter and use their site for their products and forum advice. It's run by pro painters and they push what they think works best from experience. What they suggest is a rust converter called "picklex" and then a top coat of "zero rust".

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post