Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

SLIDE OUT FOR BARTH
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
bill h, I want to use my vespa to give grand daughter a ride but cant find one of the old space ship shaped sidecars for it yet. She is 2 going on 21 and thinks pa can do anything ,so we find a sidecar.:>)

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Do you mean like a Steib?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
bill h, I am thinking of the one with chrome strips coming out of the point with painted body that looks like a bomb. Spent my whole time at Ft Sam Houston, but lost far to many friends in Nam.

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, planning to make a call. bill h is this a Steib????

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
bill h ; So if I fly to California buy the Barth in Winnetka, stop at sis and Bros in San Deiego, next to Tractor for a light weight trailer for the sidecar and on to Arizona. Real question, how much of a trailer for the side car? Would something with 13" tires be up to 3to 4 days back to midwest?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
There has been discussion on some of the bus boards that i peruse on slides and the problems that might be involved....ie. weakening of the structure, weight ,cost etc. It varies of course because there are more than one brand of bus. Just today i saw slides on at least 3 different brands of buses. Usually you will find them on the newer Prevosts coming straight from the factory but 2 of the ones today were on older GM and MCI buses that had once been Greyhound type buses and then converted after being retired from service. Probably the key point is to have it engineered by someone that knows what they are doing. A small mistake anywhere could end up being very expensive farther down the road. Having lived in a travel trailer with a slide for almost 3 years i really liked the extra room but not the leaks and drafts that occured from time to time. Having lived in the bus for almost a year now a slide would be nice but is not necessary and i would not want to take a chance on compromising the structure of the shell. Each to his own however and this is just my 2 cents worth, besides, i have better uses for 15 to 25 thousand dollars! :>

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
bill h ; So if I fly to California buy the Barth in Winnetka, stop at sis and Bros in San Deiego, next to Tractor for a light weight trailer for the sidecar and on to Arizona. Real question, how much of a trailer for the side car? Would something with 13" tires be up to 3to 4 days back to midwest?

There are thirteens and there are thirteens. The nylon ST ones are good. When I had an outboard ski boat, I towed it on thirteen inch Special Trailer tires. Over 1200 lbs per tire, as I recall. When you consider the little bitty tires on some tent trailers, the big thirteen inch Special Trailer tires are a good safety margin.

Can't say if it is a Steib or not. The nose ring doesn't look real Steiby, but it could be a copy. The bomb nose Steib was a little heavy for a Vespa, I think. Everyone copied the Steib, as it was such a handsome sidecar. The Watsonian Monza was one, I think. The Russian Ural, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post