Do some people ever grow up
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
Willie Nelson Cited for Drug Possession
Sep 18 1:06 PM US/Eastern

Willie Nelson and several members of his band were issued misdemeanor citations for drug possession early today during a traffic stop in Saint Martin Parish.
The traffic stop was conducted on Interstate 10 near Breaux Bridge.

Trooper Willie Williams says troopers smelled a strong odor of marijuana when the driver opened the bus door.

During a search of the bus, Williams say approximately 1 1/2 pounds of marijuana and approximately 2/10 of a pound of mushrooms were located on the bus.

The 73-year-old Nelson of Spicewood, Texas; 59-year-old Tony Sizemore of Saint Cloud, Fla.; 75-year-old Bobbie Nelson of Briarcliff, Texas; 54-year-old Gates Moore of Austin, Texas; and 50-year-old David Anderson of Dallas, Texas were issued citations for possession of mushrooms and possession of marijuana and released.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If I had Willie's money, I would have a sooper-dooper brace of roof exhaust fans to be sure the driver did not breathe anything that would impair his driving.

I have also read and heard stories about driving through Louisiana...........

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
If I had Willie's money...

Uncle Sam's favorite son, I.R.S., currently has most of Willie's money; that's why he and his band buds are touring Cajunland and the South.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I grew up. Doing good engineering is difficult enough without having a pound and a half of personal stash impacting my attention to detail.

Oh well Wille just got a ticket and that is not too bad; Tommy Chong got jail time a couple of years back for selling pipes.

This does not mean I am going to find that gearshift mounted bong I built for my V.W. van and install it on the Barth, period correct or not. I rather wonder where that darn thing is, attic I suspect; I keep the garage more or less orderly so I'm sure it is not there; well more of less sure.

But one thing I am sure of, when Willie's bus comes to town I'll give them plenty of room on the road.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Is this why Willie likes to sing "ON THE ROAD AGAIN"?

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I remember an interview in which Willie was questioned about the use of illicit substances by himself or members of his band. His sober response was this: He had one simple rule, "If you're wired, you're fired."

Must have been talking about caffeine.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
I remember an interview in which Willie was questioned about the use of illicit substances by himself or members of his band. His sober response was this: He had one simple rule, "If you're wired, you're fired."

Must have been talking about caffeine.

Some illicit substances make you wired.

Some make you mellow.

All I care about is that his driver ingests neither.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Yes Bill,

That was the first thing I thought about as well. If the smell was strong enough for the trooper to smell it, it was strong enough for the driver to ingest it.

By the way I though Willie had retired to some little Hawaiian Island with his buddy Kris Kristofferson.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
All I care about is that his driver ingests neither.
Doesn't some of those drugs also get you "Wired" or "Mellow" if someone around you smokes it? Can you "get high" from the overpowering smell of weed or shrooms in such large quantities? Can you test positive for it in either case? Will the State Trooper test positive?

I'll tell you about trucks, busses and rv's, you'll have to tell me about the "illicit stuff".

I'm tolerant of others that do this but have never asked those questions. It's like telling a smoker that his cough, wheeze, out of breath condition is from smoking, the first thing they'll say is "no it's not!" If you ask someone who does this they'll tell you "no, it won't!"

So, does anyone know for sure? I know we have an EMT and I think a doctor on this site. Is Willie's driver a hazard even if he doesn't partake in the act?

Now, if you want to know about beer... Big Grin

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Bill, we were subject to FAA mandated drug testing at work, and were told by company medical that to test positive, we would have to be in a cloud so thick it would irritate our eyes. We were advised to leave if the smoke got that thick, as it could trigger a positive. This of course, depends on where the threshold is set, but we were told it was set high enough to rule out passive tokers. Oops. Most tokers are passive. I should have said rule out breathers of second hand pot smoke. The thresholds were raised over the years.

However, our medical advice was in the context of being in a car or at a party. I would suspect that long term exposure to a lot of smoke like hours and hours of driving could be a little more serious. But, then again, most tokers nod off or have to make munchie stops, which would afford the opportunity for the driver to breathe fresh air, perhaps long term exposure is unlikely.

As far as effect, a non-toker can indeed feel the effects of second hand marijuana, especially nowadays with the stronger pot available.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I do not condone illegal drugs.

I do not condone Willie getting a light sentence (which may depend on local laws/attitudes, or just because it was Willie).

I do, however, like Willie's classic songs.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Willie paid off the IRS years ago to the tune of $12 million, Kris has a place on Maui,....and retire? I doubt it, Willie will probably die with a guitar or golf club in his hand. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post