Forums    General Discussions    A pro trucker's guide to winter driving....
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A pro trucker's guide to winter driving....
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
http://www.roadandtrack.com/ca...e-to-winter-driving/

When you face a nasty winter storm, use your best judgment.

Don't go out unless you have to,
and always make sure you have:
an emergency kit,
warm blankets,
and rations in the car.

Now, here are some tips, basic and advanced, to help ensure you won't need to use that emergency kit.

Relax:

Breathe and stay calm.

Panic causes people to overreact.

You need to FOCUS.

Slow Down:

Drive only as fast as your abilities and the capabilities of the vehicle permit for the road conditions.

If you're out of practice on snow and ice....

just slow down.

If your tires are bad, slow down.

If your car has a low ride height, it won't handle accumulating snow well.

Again, just slow down.

Read more....

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Michigan, lived and drove in Colorado for 40yrs. was asked why no 4wd my answer was "ain't never been stuck at 50mph" But really the best answer is---don't live where there is snow! speed is not the problem on slick roads it's that there's others out there.

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. I have driven every winter of my life here in Michigan. I've never had trouble with the snow itself, just other people who don't understand how it works. (It's not just speed, I can drive 90 mph on a frozen lake, it is stopping and turning that gets tricky!) Drive like you have no brakes, coast a lot, easy on all inputs, DON'T TAILGATE, leave lots of room, sneak up to the stop signs, don't charge them…

My advice: If you have not driven a lot in snow and icy roads, pull over in a safe place, or better yet, STAY HOME! Leave the roads to those who know how to do it. If you are not 100% sure you know where you're going and that you can get there, don't experiment in the blizzard, stay home. nono

With years of daily driving and snow and ice, you know the difference between dry and slushy snow, whether the road underneath is frozen, or not, what the hills and terrain present, and how your vehicle handles in all of the above. No substitute for experience here.

It is no problem to drive in adverse conditions if you know what you're doing. Plow drivers do it all the time. Just gotta be careful. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree; if you're in an area that rarely gets snow, stay home. You don't need to acquire the experience. In '88, we had snow in N FL. In the 3½ miles I drove to the store, there were 3 vehicles in the ditch.

Unlike many Floridians, I had all-season tires, and years of experience driving in snow and ice.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I agree also. There is no substitute for experience i.e. 50+ years of driving hills of Pennsylvania in winter.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
basically what I was trying to say earlier, is if there is anyone else out there you are not in control, only way to safe is to practice avoidance. Stay home or move south.

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
A good set of all season radials and a little experience. Some extra weight in the vehicle and you were good to go. Knock on wood, never had any trouble even when the snow was deeper than the hood of my VW Beetle. Most mornings off to work before the plows went through. Ahhh the good old days!!!
Keep um.

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post