Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel prices vs. gasoline
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We are new to this site and are hoping eventully to find one of those used "barthmoBuggy's" 30 feet or over that will fit our limited budget. We almost bought OlRoy's 1990 which was on display right here in our town. We financially chickened out the last minute and really regret our decision. It was actually a really good deal. He now says he sold it last week.

The real purpose of my post is to ask those of you living especially in any of the western states and who own a diesel machine, just what your fuel is costing. Here in the northwest peninsula of WA we are seeing prices of 20 to 30 cents per gallon higher than gas. If that is true most places, it might discourage us from buying a diesel rig. We currently drive a 1988 Suncrest that does only about 7 mpg on gas. RayB

Any info/thoughts or advice? Are we thinking smart or no?

Posts: 2 | Location: Port Angeles, WA | Member Since: 12-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
RayB, I just topped off the coach this afternoon, diesel was $3.35 pere gallon on low sulfur. Seems the ll gas was $3.07 per gallon here in western NC. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RayB:
We currently drive a 1988 Suncrest that does only about 7 mpg on gas. RayB

Any info/thoughts or advice? Are we thinking smart or no?

Hi, Ray, and Welcome. Gas or diesel, a Barth is a good choice if you appreciate Really Good Stuff.

"Only" 7 mpg on gas isn't all that bad for a lot of gassers.

Fuel is only a small part of the equation. When you buy a diesel Barth, you are getting a better quality chassis, and to various degrees, a better quality shell and interior fitments. So, you pay more and get more. You will also be getting a longer-lasting but more expensive to maintain chassis. With an older coach, good mechanics and parts sources will be fewer and farther between, and dearer. That is balanced out by the inherent ruggedness of the diesel chassis.

None of the above can be analyzed on a rational basis. It is emotion and thriftiness and a liking for quality and luxury, as well as how you read the tea leaves of the future.

What can be analyzed and quantified is your miles driven yearly. Then, gasoline fuel consumption and service can be compared to same for diesel for that mileage. I believe our moderator, Bill NY, did some calculating a while back on fuel costs and miles driven. Search for it, or give us your annual miles and local fuel costs, and we will kick it around.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind that even tho right now diesel is higher than gas, that could change at any time. At times in the past diesel has been cheaper than gas. Over a long enough period of time i think you will spend about the same amount of money for fuel no matter which one you have.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Diesel's autumn price ascension is predictable, as the swing refineries alter production to favor #2 (home heating oil [HHO] and diesel). Swing refineries are those (most, these days) equipped to deal with the market needs by "swinging" from gaso production to the heavier ends, like #1 (kerosene) and #2. In the summer, HHO is of no impact on the market, but come the First Frost, the demand increases.

It may also signal a move towards "energy pricing". At the heavy-user level, fuel is priced according to $/BTU, not $/gal., $/lb., or $/cu.ft. Diesel has more energy content than gaso, and thus pricing it for its energy content is new to diesel, but not new to the industry.

Fortunately for diesel engine owners, diesel fuel not only contains for energy per gallon, but the engine is more efficient in extracting it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Also keep in mind that even tho right now diesel is higher than gas, that could change at any time. At times in the past diesel has been cheaper than gas. Over a long enough period of time i think you will spend about the same amount of money for fuel no matter which one you have.

I agree with this, and I've been watching fuel prices in a somewhat organized manner for several years now. Gas vs. diesel flip-flop high and low, rarely being near the same price range for too long.

The real key to saving on gas (other than driving style) is to watch the pricing trends and compare it to the swing of a pendulum. The prices creep down a penny or two at a time, day after day, as the pendulum is slowly reaching the end of its travel ... then it swings quickly back the other way and prices shoot up 20-30 cents. Then the downward creep starts all over again. Get used to watching that trend, and you'll be able to plan your fill-ups around the anticipated low end of pricing - right before the pendulum swings back the other way. Wink

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Its all getting really expensive. We recently made the trip from northern IN to FL around 1250 miles, cost of gas $450. One way.
Ralph

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for so many responses regarding the diesel/gas pricing issue. What you say seems true enough to me. Especially true is the matter of desire for ownership of a good Barth and what one gets for the price out weighing the fuel cost. RayB

Posts: 2 | Location: Port Angeles, WA | Member Since: 12-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post