Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

ride height
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Has anyone heard of the front ride height being to high instead of sagging.I got the results back after the shop measured m front ride height and said it was 3 and a half.That left me confused on how to set my specs.I was looking forward to using supersteers specs.So i called them to see what i could do to use their spec hoping it would be as simple as less caster.They said they think the shop didnt measure in the right place.Would it be possible that they did measure the right place and this is correct.If so what could be the cause.I only have 50lbs in the bags.

Posts: 15 | Location: charlotte nc | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think about 3 inches is where they normally sit. You may want to measure it with minimal (ie 10 psi) pressure in the front air bags. You may already have stiffer springs. Some of these springs will give normal height without airbags.

Some prefer this setup, using the airbags as "load levelers" to compensate for load variations. Others will argue that factory pressure should always be maintained for proper spring damping.

Either way, you will need to compensate for the ride height when the alignment is done. A good shop should be able to work with the height you have.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You need about 2 inches bump stop clearance. After you get that, adjust the rear ride height to level the frame rails. Then set the caster for 6 degrees and the toe in at 1/4-5/16". Camber 1/4 degree.

The front ride height chart in the Chevy manual is not useful. As long as your rubber bump stop is not distorted, you can measure the clearance there and be fine.

50 lbs is not a lot of pressure for stock springs. Are your springs old and rusty or are they a nice blue?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post