Forums    General Discussions    If you think it's cold...
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

If you think it's cold...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h,

I had the same experience in the early nineties. As they say, steep and steeper. We got scrubbed before the top as well. It got cold and was icy. I never worked so hard, and was actually glad I didn't have to ride the 22 percent grade just before the finish line. The road is 7.6 miles long and averages 18 percent grade. I took me two hours to ride the six miles that was open. I could not do it now. Not even in the Barth.

I have a friend who used to run the road race up to the top. He won it twice with a time around 62 minutes. During that same time the best riding time was 59 minutes. Tyler Hamilton did it a few years ago, he turned it in 45 minutes and won a Saab.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goodwinw:
bill h,.................I was actually glad I didn't have to ride the 22 percent grade just before the finish line.

Bill G

22 percent? Oh, my goodness. I don't think I could have made it even in good weather then. That would have to be a crushing blow to face that 22 percenter just when you almost had it made. I was over 40 then. I think I bit off more than I could chew, even in good weather.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h,

I was in my early forties then as well. I knew the grade was a killer and was glad I didn't have to muster the energy to ride it. Actually, I figured I would be lucky if I had the energy to walk it when I got there.
What was most amazing to see was the collection of older folks (60's and 70's) who go there to ride it every year. Additionally, the modifications to bikes was also interesting. I saw one fellow with a 6 inch front wheel. He told me that he figured it was so steep that lowering the front end would give him a more level riding position. His cranks were nearly hitting the ground????

I now ride a recumbent and have for the last eleven years. I've put 31,000 miles on it during that time period. I call it my Lazy-Boy on wheels. It was built by an ultralight aircraft company in Hays, Kansas. Even on my best day, I couldn't climb Mt. Washington on it. However, my riding pleasure has never been greater.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bill how about a pic of that lazy boy bike??thats a lot of miles!! Good job!! thanks!

Posts: 16 | Location: alto pass il usa | Member Since: 12-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Roy,

If Dave can help here, the picture you will see is my bent last summer on a trip I took with a friend cycling in the Lake George area of NY.

The bike is ruggedly built, and weighs in at 30 pounds. It has hydraulic brakes, front suspension, 21 speeds with the dérailleur and the internal hub adds three gear ranges. This gives me a total of 63 speeds. I go from 19 gear inches to 140 gear inches. In steep climbs I sometimes pedal at under 3 MPH and can drive it over 40 MPH on a gradual grade at top gear. On steep descents my highest speed was 60 MPH. It easily reaches 40 to 50 on good downhills.

Bill G

posted Hide Post
thanks....will be looking forward to that pic!! 40-60 mph is hard to imagine!! that must be a rush..sounds like fun and good exercise!

Posts: 16 | Location: alto pass il usa | Member Since: 12-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess a POT HOLE or LOCKING up the FRONT brake would NOT be recommended at 60 MPH, HUH Bill? What is the the LONGEST time you have COASTED down one of DEM hills? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
"Correction" this is Bill Goodwin's Recumbent

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 11, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
OK, a contest with no prize! Anybody know what the record for top speed on a bicycle is? and the year it was set?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
OK, a contest with no prize! Anybody know what the record for top speed on a bicycle is? and the year it was set?

I don't know if it was a record or not, but one year I was at Bonnevile Salt Flats they had the damndest '55 Chevy you ever saw with a box on the back. Inside the box was a guy pedaling a bicycle and he went about 145mph if I remember correctly. It was in the mid 1970's (75 or 76??)really amazing.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

Sam Whittingham cruises in the Varna Mephisto, a bike designed and built by George Georgiev set a 200M Flying start record for single rider human powered vehicles at high altitude. His time was 6.15 seconds which equates to 72.74 MPH! The previous World Record Holder's time was 6.5 seconds which equates to 68.72mph

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
When I was younger and dumb (now I'm middle age and stupid) I spent a week camping and skiing on Mt. Washington. It's an interesting place.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Well John you are closer than Dave and on the right "track" if you will pardon the pun. Don't know where it was done but in 1985 John Howard hit 245.08 kilometers per hour ( about 154 mph) by cycling in the slipstream of a specially designed car. Hmmmm....wonder how Lance Armstrong would do?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My doctor, a GAL, told me Lance Armstrong's RESTED heart beat is 30, and his muscles are full of endurance cells, couple this to the fact his lungs are top notch he is what he is. I know as a past long distance runner my cells tested not for speed, but for endurance too, so I don't know how well he would do in a TOP SPEED event. BETTER than most I would bet though.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the web..john is right...Fred Rompelberg 167.043 oct 3 1995..was behind the car in some type of box..riding the draft!!