Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Best Barth Year
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can check it very quickly by take one of the florescent lights down and looking around that area!

That is how I found my bubble wrap, I was changing the florescent's over to LED's.

My first couple years out of high school I worked for Avion Corporation building high end travel trailers. Looked like a Airstream on the outside however the interior had more luxury. The insulation Avion used was a two part spray urethane, you talk about a well insulated trailer heck you could heat one with a candle.

Fleetwood Enterprise bought Avion in the late 70's cheapened them up and the Avion division eventually went out of business.

With that being said that is what attracted me to the Barth. When I first saw the Barth it was like this motorhome has the quality of a Avion, aluminum construction, quality cabinetry, all the bells and whistles of a high end Coach. Except for the insulation (what were they thinking) they must have listened to a bubble wrap salesman telling them about this new insulation developed by NASA.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
And all these years, I thought Avion was a part of Airstream. What would be a good year Avion to buy?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can check it very quickly by take one of the florescent lights down and looking around that area!

I was looking at the lights yesterday and didn't see any screws to remove. Before I start prying at something with a screwdriver, can someone tell me the technique to removing the cover and the fixture? Just don't want to break something that isn't broken now.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Avion started by Mr. Cayo in Benton Harbor MI. Descendants still around.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was looking at the lights yesterday and didn't see any screws to remove.

If they're Sunray, remove the diffuser; there are four screws.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
And all these years, I thought Avion was a part of Airstream. What would be a good year Avion to buy?

Avion was Airstream's competition, as far as good years to buy a Avion it would be the 60's and 70's possible early 80's. I bought my Barth from the Cayo family they still have a repair center in Watervliet MI. They sell used Avion's and SOB's. Cayo actually bought the Barth because of the aluminum construction and the fine cabinetry, they planned on using it however after 2 years they only used it once to go to Kalamazoo speedway and then decided to sell. Cayo removed the two swivel chairs and table in the Barth and installed a dinette set. They did a excellent job.

As far as removing the florescent lights in the Barth, like Rusty said I removed the diffuser and then four small screws that fasten the fixture to the ceiling. After that I was able to pull the ceiling down a tad a reveal the dreaded bubble wrap.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post