Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Severe winter travel questions
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Just two points. One buy some starting fluid. You may need it for the genset and or the cummins. But use it carefully. Often a small squirt will do it.

Second make sure you hot water heater is drained. Was kinda inbaressing when I got down south and the tank had burst.

Put anti-gel in your fuel tank during your last fill up before parking it. It should get circulated to the engine before shutting it down.

I used to leave MN when we had a bus (GM PD4106) and often it was in the teens below zero. Worst was 25 below. Never had a fuel problem with the Detroit as they really could heat up the fuel. But the propane genset ran until I reached warm weather. Had the propane furnace running plus two electric space heaters and the engine heat. Wore a snow mobile suit, boots and gloves. Biggest problem was shifting the 4 speed spicer for the first few miles.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
some states got real good 800 numbers and internet sites for road conditions, my favorite one is wyoroads.info for Wyoming. includes pictures, closures, weather/wind etc
Keep fuel tanks full, do not go below 1/2 tank.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
And if you go to the DOT websites for Oregon and Wa. they have traffic cameras for some of the mountain passes.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector (in addition to LPG and smoke). Everybody should have one.
On a lighter side: I think the History Channel is looking for some participants for their new series "Ice Road Campers" Big Grin

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you been watching Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Roads?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
yes, we both like it and watch it whenever possible. Missed last Sundays Himalaya. I would not drive overthere! It's like bumper cars gone wild. Not to mention the donkey path they call highway. Makes the ice road look like the autobahn.

posted Hide Post
They have been showing repeats of the episodes several times during the week. In fact they are showing the first one right now and will be showing the others right after. Newest one will be on later tonite. Smiler