Forums    General Discussions    Barth in Germany !?!?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth in Germany !?!?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello Friends,

I live in Germany and a dude in my hometown is selling his 1989 Barth Regal with 6.2 l V8 Diesel Engine. It has been standing outside for the last maybe 10 years without having been used . It has only less than 50.000 miles.

I am not sure if it only needs an intensive cleaning or can anybody of you tell which promlems I might expect or which problems are typical .

There are not too many BARTH around in Germany and so I hope you folks could help me from a distance. Thanks !

Posts: 4 | Member Since: 06-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Oboy - where to start...?

1. Engine. If it's actually sat idle for ten years, the engine - even if it runs - is most likely in need of replacement soon. There could be substantial internal corrosion, all the seals are dried out; even starting it will run it on dry bearings until the oil flow comes up. No telling what the cooling system looks like internally.

2. Transmission. May be OK, except plan to replace front and rear seals, fluid, and filter.

3. Differential. Probably OK, but plan on flushing, replacing axle seals, and new fluid.

4. Brakes. Flush and refill system. Pull all wheels, check for corrosion. Drums/discs may need resurfacing.

5. Tires. All six need replacement.

6. Steering/Front axle. Repack wheel bearings. Expect to replace seals on power steering unit. Grease all fittings.

7. Chassis Air Conditioning. Plan on new compressor and receiver/dryer.

8. Chassis electrical. New batteries. Probably a new alternator, as the bearings will have dried out. Clean and preserve external electrical connections.

I'll save the house equipment for another time.

Now, although this motorhome likely has many, many things to fix, it's still a Barth - the basic structure is sound, unlike most motorhomes of this age.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,

Thanks for your help and technical advices. Today I had the chance to have a closer look and speak to the owner ( which is a friend from my father ) . He used it at least twice a year for a weekend so the engine and components should be in a usable condition. It has 30.000 original miles. The batteries are down and might need replacement or maybe only charging. Were replaced 6 years ago. One of the leveling standing cylinders ( when parked ) is leaking oil when in use. After a long standing period there's sometimes water in the diesel filter which can be solved by a new filter. ( Is that a usual problem ? ) The interior is beside some spots on the carpet in quite good condition. It's dry .
I really like the Barth.
Would you recommend to buy it ?

Cheers

Michael

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile. You know there are a few Barth in Europe. Another person from Germany has registered, named Jo, the email is oelhardt@web.de and this is a picture of their coach.

Depending on the price, I would thing that it sounds like a very nice coach. The hydraulic leak on the leveler should be easily repaired.

Where are in in Germany, I lived in Murnau, near Oberammergau for 2 years, (about 100 years ago).

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The batteries are going to need replacement. Plan on replacing the tires, too.

There should be very little water in the fuel tank - but sitting idle increases it (water enters the tank by way of humid air; it cools at night and the water settles out). Keeping the tank full minimizes that problem.

It's hard to say whether you should buy it. Much depends on the price, and your willingness to put more money into it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Michael, are you going to do the work yourself or pay to have it done?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the information of the "other" German Barth. Looks like a similar Regal 25. The owner mailed me his phone number, so I will talk to him later and hopefully I will learn about his experience with his Barth.
Also because of the cost. Not too hard works ( like changing batteries ) I can do myself and other things could do a friend of mine with a repair shop ( not too expensive ).
So I calculate the money for new batteries and tires plus some technical checks from authorities for the GAS system and general checks.
Hopefully the Aircondition works and all the kitchen and water systems are O.K. . That will be my next step to check.
Are there any "typical" problems you can tell me I have to check ?
And Thanks so far for all your help and comments, this is a great forum and have a nice 4 th. of July today !!!

posted Hide Post
.... too bad : It has been sold !
I was too late. So if you hear about another BARTH for sale in Germany, drop me a note !