Forums    General Discussions    Hello! New Barth Owner Here...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hello! New Barth Owner Here...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/15
Picture of mstober
posted
Hello, all! We are the new owners of a 1994 Barth 30' medical clinic coach. This is the one in your Barth Sightings post

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/1203997487

We got it back to NW Ohio yesterday and are looking it over and planning the conversion. Looks like it's in good shape mechanically. All original medical partitions and cabinets inside which appear to be in good shape for a 21 year old coach. I think it was taken out of service fairly recently.

It has no shower, which is the first priority. Needs to be ready for this summer when we are going to SW Colorado. My wife has a job on a guest ranch leading trail rides. (at least it needs to be ready to sleep & shower in...we eat our meals in the ranch cafeteria)

Will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that. Also will post to the Barth Data Tag section.

I am sure we will have LOTS AND LOTS of questions. But it looks like you all are a helpful and friendly bunch! So for now, just wanted to say Hi and introduce ourselves.

Mark Stober & Gae Ann Lind

Posts: 11 | Location: CA/OH | Member Since: 02-21-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
mstober, welcome to the site. I have what was the Maryland State Police Command Center and it is quite similar to your clinic. Mine has no separate "rooms" except for the bathroom (mine does not have a shower either.

Keep us posted on your progress, we like pictures.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that coach. It does look overall pretty good shape. Lots of doors!

The one generator looks like a "Detroit lean," check the mounts.

You will be glad you have the tag axle. More tires, more brakes, more load and stability.

Your coach is similar to mine in many respects. I have done several projects on mine that you may find helpful. Just search in Tech talk and Upgrades forums.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. Keep in touch. You're not that far from Michigan.

Enjoy your Barth.

Have Barth, will travel

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5174 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Welcome Mark , That Barth was about 50 miles south of me (Wampum,Pa) . Looks like your not that far away from me either. Enjoy the site , A lot of good info here & LOTS of good people that know there stuff when it comes to Barth's . Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Mark Computer (from Mark)
looks like you got a good buy. That barge was VERY expensive when it was custom made. In as much as it must have grey water and black water tank(s) adding a shower should not be too difficult. mechanic
Converting to living/sleeping space ought to be easier than with some commercial units Barth made.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile.com!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Welcome Mark and Gae!

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

Sherrie and I looked at a commercial Barth a few years ago. This one has an awning. I haven't seen that on very many.
We're looking forward to seeing the pictures as you make this one your own.

Have fun,
Bill

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile.com folks. Wish you lots of luck with your coach. BTW be careful of that first step out the back door, it's a doozy Big Grin
Happy Barthmobileing!!!!!!!!!! Tooling Along

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Mark, I see the brackets to attach stairs for the rear curbside door. Do stairs for front curbside door come out like one drawer above the other (like modern luxury coaches)?
The driver's door will be handy for refueling.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Welcome. When you start your build out, try the on lines sites in the Amish area of Indiana and south Michigan for RV salvage yard and furniture wholesales. These companies buy last years interiors from builders of RV in the area and have bath and kitchens cabinets and parts of lots of quality levels. If you go take the Barth and use it the bring home the bargains. Stay at the 4H Fair Grounds in Goshen,In., that's where we have the Milford GTG. All who wander are not lost. Tooling Along

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mstober
posted Hide Post
Hi All, thanks for the warm welcome!

We're having fun exploring the coach. Some interesting discoveries...

It originally had an air conditioning unit in a storage bay. Apparently that didn't cool the coach well enough so it was removed and three roof air conditioners were installed. The power wires run through surface races that are stuck to the walls and ceiling.

The X-ray room has wall paneling with a thin lead sheet laminated to the back side. The door also has an added lead-lined panel.

It has a small heater (radiator water) with two hot air ducts in a middle driver side bay. Has a 12v fan and a pair of rubber hoses, same type as heater hose. Haven't traced them yet but looks like they go to the front.

Most fun of all, we found the business card for the county's vehicle maintenance supervisor and another name handwritten in...maybe the mechanic. We're going to make some calls and see if we can get more info about the coach...maybe even get connected to some of the health department medical professionals who worked in the clinic. We'd like to get some real-life stories!

To answer some of your questions...

Mogan David, the front stairs have a "porch" that slides out from underneath the door. It's on heavy drawer glides. Two round poles fit in the porch to support it on the outside edge. You saw correctly, below the rear door there are brackets for a similar porch, which is also supported by poles on the outside edge. This porch, as well as the steps, poles, handrails, etc. are stored in the bay behind the front door. The steps are separate assemblies that fold flat. The manufacturer's label says they are "dock stairs."

Also, it appears to have only a single waste tank. I'm mulling over whether to add a grey water tank now or later (or at all). Would appreciate your suggestions!

Steve VW, thanks for the heads up about the generator mount. The 7KW Onan on the passenger side is on slides (which I have not yet slid out) but the 4.5KW on the driver side is mounted to the frame and does look a little tipped. Is that the one you meant?

Sloop John B, you read our minds! We made a car trip yesterday to look over the RV salvage places and get ideas, measurements, prices, etc. We went to Bontrager's in White Pigeon, MI (but did not go to Johnson's) and in Elkhart to RV Parts Nation and Factory RV Surplus. We liked Bontrager's and Factory RV Surplus best because of their wide selection although RV Parts Nation had a huge showroom of furniture. FYI Factory RV Surplus says on their website that they are moving but actually are consolidating inventory into a large warehouse building on the back of the same property.

I am working on uploading pictures (way too many!) and will post a reply here with the link.

Thanks again for your welcome and comments!

Mark

Posts: 11 | Location: CA/OH | Member Since: 02-21-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mstober
posted Hide Post
Here are photos...

https://plus.google.com/photos...thkey=CK6E9ODFhL7NHg

I hope this link to my Google + Album works. If not, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Mark , Depending on how long your camping trips last & how many people you take will tell you if another tank is needed . me , i would add one, 1 shower a day with 2 people, plus dishes, bathroom breaks , 1 tank will fill up fast .
Also , i would remove the lead backed paneling to take out the extra weight that is not needed . it will add up fast. then i would have enough lead to make sinkers for fishing the rest of my life . ROTFLMAO if you don't fish sell the lead , its going for a good price. Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post