Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help re: '91 Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Dave, as a new Barther I have a couple more questions that maybe you or someone else can help me with. First, I cannot locate the switch to turn on the docking lights or the driving lamps. Any thoughts? Also, I am thinking of buying a Rav4 to tow behind my (somewhat underpowered)Cummins 6BT5.9 160 hp diesel. Will that work and do I have enough power to tow a vehicle that weights just under 3000 lbs.? Are there any upgrades I should consider for towing this car? Thanks for all your help. I love the sight and have learned so much from reading it. Regards, Sniboy

Posts: 17 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 10-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey there,

On my coach, I have a switch which says acc. on my dash board. My driving/fog lights are turned on there.

Concerning the Rav4, I have emailed you the PDF for all 2004 towable vehicles. You will see that the manual transmission and the 2WD seems to be a little more user friendly than the 4WD.

By the way have you considered the Honda CRV or the Saturn Vue, or even the Suzuki Grand Valare. All are about the same size around the same price or cheaper and you can tow all three 4 down with automatic transmission, with out any restrictions. Automatic tranny equals resale value. And, since the odometer doesn't even turn when you tow them, they could almost be like new. ha ha

Regarding the towing of these vehicles, they are all pretty light. I think you shouldn't have any trouble. You sure aren't going to be passing many cars on those 100 mile New Mexico grades. They even made my 1970 AMC Pacer boil over. Of course, I think it boiled over going to the grocery store in Simi Valley.

Concerning your 160 HP engine there is really very little you can do. Up untill 1993 or so these engines had a Bosch rotary injector pump and was not upgradable. A couple years later they changed to a Bosch Inline injector pump which was upgradable.

You may wonder how I know all of this, since I have only changed the oil in my snow blowing and had an anxiety attack doing that.

And I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express either. I talked to Tom Albert (my secret Cummin weapon) at Cummins NPower, St. Paul, MN. 651-286-2063. He will receive calls from anyone who has questions on their engine but make sure you have the serial number in front of you when you call. He actually works for a distributor, if you want to call Cummins directly, call 1-800-Diesels.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 11, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post