Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

HEALTH ALERT: "P.E"
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I just spent two days in a Cardiac care unit... Testing, poking, prodding... Nuclear this, stress test that... Fortunately, no cardiac issues.

The problem was likely clotting, or Pulmonary Embolisms.

Fortunately my cardiologist asked if I had been on a long trip lately, and, well, Yes, I replied, we had just put in a non-stop 12 hour driving trip. They tested for P.E. and ended up IV'ing clot-dissolving stuff. Dr. said that PE was the #1 most mis-diagnosed cause of death, particularly from cardiac-symptom complaints. Shortness of breath, chest pains... Typically, they check for heart disease, blockage, etc. and if they find none, but don't check for PE the patient can be turned loose, only to drop dead soon thereafter!

It can happen from extended periods of inactivity, like, driving or even cross-country flights.

Moral of the story, stop your coach and take a walk every 4 hours or so. Enjoy that scenery a little longer. The few hours more it may take to get there just might add years to your travels!

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Smoking is a big contributor to PE's and other occlusive episodes.

Sitting for long periods can cause stagnation of the blood in the extremities, which creates clots become 'emboli'.

Taking an aspirin a day is a good preventative measure, as quitting smoking and keeping weight under control.

Aspirin usage MUST be guided by your doctor, since high doses can cause side effects such as internal bleeding and 'rining in the ears' (Tinittis).

Ask your family docs, folks. A cheapie aspirin a day could prevent a lot of heartache...literally.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up guys. I have not noticed too many 20 year olds frequenting these motorhome sites which leads me to believe that we are all in somewhat the same boat age wise. I think an aspirin is a good thing. I take Coumidan for atrial fibrillation but also down a baby aspirin for the slippery platelets. I want to have quite a few more Barth trips.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave may not see many 20 year olds but I'm in my mid 30's. Just buried a 39 year old friend a week ago from this same thing. He's had minor surgery and was resting at the house for a week and woke up and couldn't breath early Friday morning. Called 911 and was dead when they got there. Freaked me out. They said this is waht had happened. Im' at a desk 8-10 hours a day on the phone and I asked if I was at risk. They said need to be careful. I'm thinking about having a desk built that I can stand up behind. Just thought I'd put my two cents worth in. I just posted a note about diesels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fairfield, TX, USA | Member Since: 05-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
TxBigRig your 2 cents are worth a million dollars. Welcome to the website and accept a big Texas howdy from us all.

I'll be 56 this month so I am still a kid also. I guess we're all getting to that age where we know for sure we aren't going to live on this planet forever. What's that old saying, "if I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my self."

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Summer and travelling season rapidly approaching I thought I'd give this a bump...

Keep that sunny side up,

Dute

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post