Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

holding tank additives
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
If I remember correctly the subject of holding tank additives has been discussed in the past. I tried looking in the archives and could not find the different posts on this suject. Could someone help?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Hey! I can't believe I got no response, there have to be some good ideas on holding tanks,

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
OK, I did not respond because typical opinions are all over the map. Some use nothing, some use the blue stuff, some use bacteria and enzymes, some use the so-called "Geo" method. There are adherents and opponents for every chemical or method. Some folks get downright passionate about it, even going so far as to insult and denigrate members of other cults. I was even called a dope and accused of sleeping through chemistry class on this forum.

My take on the subject is not to use anything that kills micro-organisms, as it will wreck any septic system you dump into.

We have used Happy Camper powder and Pure Power liquid with success, but other enzyme/bacteria chemicals have also worked for us. They introduce aerobic bacteria that eat the stinky anaerobic bacteria. They all let you leave the tank sit without a problem. I have a very powerful wand, but rarely clean my tank. I have a friend who never even does a second, rinsing, dump on his tank. Just dumps it once and goes. He has had the same RV for years and has no problem. If I am at a dump station and there is no one behind me, I will fill it halfway and dump again, but I am not sure this accomplishes anything useful.

You can also encourage aerobic bacteria by aeration. This is what large feed lots do with their stinky lakes. When I had a fiver permanently parked on the river, I had a little compressor that ran constantly and blew into a weighted flexible tube with small holes along its length which was submerged in the black tank. It worked even way above a hundred degrees.

We also use the little weather vane on the vent, I forgot its name. Whenever there is just a waft of breeze, it creates a low pressure inside the tank so no odor comes up into the bathroom when the toilet valve is open. I have verified this with cigar smoke. BTW, running your ceiling fan when the toilet valve is open can suck tank odor up into the bathroom.

Here are a couple of good links:

http://www.rvlifemag.com/file324/rvtip324.html

http://www.phrannie.org/macerator.html

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited December 14, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Thanx Bill H