Forums    General Discussions    Decisions, decisions!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Decisions, decisions!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi all--I WANT A BARTH! Need your help in trying to decide. Own an SOB gasser and have only owned diesel cars in the past. Considering purchase of a diesel Barth and trying to decide on which one of four that I have found so far. All have the 5.9 Cummins. I am leaning towards a 28' but the others are 30 footers. My questions is with what is happening to the price of diesel, would I be better off staying with gas? What MPG numbers might I expect with this engine? Will the 28' be quicker and give more MPG than the 30 footers? Would appreciate your expertise. Thanks--Charlie T.

Posts: 31 | Location: Wherever we happen to be | Member Since: 02-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It's never been a better time to buy a diesel. Better fuel mileage, better resale value, the 5.9 Cummins can go big miles, so perhaps you will never need to re-power.

If you've owned a diesel car, you are ahead of the game and probably know how to drive a diesel.

If you haven't guessed by now, buy the diesel.

What size Barth? The lowest mileage, best cared for size Thumbs Up

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a '94 28' Breakaway (the prototype for the last 4 known 28's); mine has a GM drivetrain rather than the Cummins/Allison. I average about 12.5 mpg. The Cummins-engined 28's get about the same. Reports from owners of the 30's and 33's indicate they get only slightly less.

While the wheelbase is absurdly short at 146", it's well-mannered on the road, even in serious (25+ mph) crosswinds.

The drawback of the pre-'94 28's is the skimpy basement storage. The drawback of the '94+ 28' is the GM 6.5L TD and the 4L80E. The former is early production and trouble-prone; the latter is strong internally but the torque converter is weak. The '94+ 28's had the floor raised about 10" and the electric panel moved inside, so has about 3X the basement storage.

The 30' Breakaways also are short on basement room, so the extra 2' inside is a real benefit.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys--knew I could count on you for good info!

Posts: 31 | Location: Wherever we happen to be | Member Since: 02-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post