Forums    General Discussions    OK, I give up, what is it?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

OK, I give up, what is it?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
So I have been cleaning out the house of a deceased family member who loved to fix stuff. I found this tool, and have inquired at 3 hardware stores (and asked 'senior' workers, (ie, been there a long time and have most T shirts) to no avail. Looks like a handle into which two long nails were inserted,with small head of 2 nails on the outside--- but I don't think this is homemade. We made guesses, but no one knows whatitis or whatitdo?

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Imteresting..... It looks like it could come in handy for holding a bolt, screw, nail for starting or removing in a hard to reach spot? Kinda like a holding screwdriver that would hold anything? Just a thought....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
It's a nail holder. Ooops

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
In the early days of monofilament fishline, it was very stiff, and would lie on top of the water, held up by the surface tension of the water. From underneath, the fish could spot the track of the line straight to the lure, particularly a popper, which had to sit still and just be jerked now and then. When the line was jerked, the complete length of the line splashed and rippled on the surface. Imagine what that looked like from underneath on a sunny day!

This was a giant problem with a large popper, such as a Hula Popper.

This tool was invented by a next door neighbor of ours, Berkley Bedell, to put a curl into stiff monofilament line. The line was threaded around the nails in a figure 8 pattern, and then pulled through under tension. This gave it a nice curl so that it would only contact the water where the curl touched it, rendering the line much less obvious to Mr Largemouth.

He and Fred Arbogast spent entire weekends trying different versions of their products together, as the line and the Hula Popper was a combination that really needed work.

The device had two flaws:

1. The curls made backlashes much worse on the reels used at the time.

2. An unskilled user would drag the line too close to the nail heads and nick the line on the die marks just under the heads. This caused line failure later.

Despite the failure of his first foray into fishing tackle marketing, Berkley went on to become a maker of better tackle, and ended up as a congressman.

He re-introduced the tool, with smooth shanks when spinning reels came out, but the curling kept the line from coming off the reel uniformly during casting. The problem was particularly vexing to those poor souls who used an early Airex reel with a quarter circle bail.

This second failure distressed him so much that he brought out his own line of line, Trilene. It turned out to be such good line that it made his fortune.

His company now relabels Chinese products and enjoys great success.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Of course Bill H. is correct.... The fresh straight line was also called a "light" line and the tool, after proper use, would convert the light line to a dark line, meaning it had been run through the tool.... Well Berkley was so clever that he had, and advertised, another use for his light to dark tool.... If properly inserted into a "dark sucker" socket (search for a previous post) it could release some of the "dark" so that you could use the socket for a little longer after a full dark sucker was reinstalled....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
You guys must like to write about 6:30 PM, at least an hour after the 'smoking lamp is lit'. Love it! Great way for me to start off the day with a smile on my face.
Could this also be used by the gender that likes curls instead of straight hair?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post