Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Owner to barth family
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Just got my Barth! found it behind a warehouse in lansing Mi. It's a 34 ft 454, don't know model or anything this thing is loaded!! Its even got a blender built in (is that normal) I get the impression these are special rigs? I am in need of manuals for the thing. how do I know what model I got. It's got some kind of round contol behind the drivers seat its black in color and has 4 positions. I turned it and the lights go out. how does it work or whats it for? There is a control board (lack of better term) that shows 3 gas gauges and the battery cond. there are only 2 fill caps ive found which ones which and where does the generator get its supply? Any help would be greatly appriciated Thanks Tim

Posts: 8 | Location: eagle mi. | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camaro tim:
Just got my Barth! found it behind a warehouse in lansing Mi. It's a 34 ft 454, don't know model or anything

Hi Tim, and Welcome.

Depending on year, it is probably a 34t or 34SE. Pretty much the same thing. Look for a tag attached to the drivers side wall, or a cabinet on the drivers side or in the forward overhead. Post a photo here and we will decipher it for you.

quote:
Its even got a blender built in (is that normal)

Fairly common on larger coaches.

quote:
I am in need of manuals for the thing. how do I know what model I got.

Barth did not supply much in the way of manuals. Mine came with a binder with manuals for the stove, oven, fridge, et al. Some got build drawings. Some got wiring diagrams. The chassis is a Chevy P30, and manuals are available on the internet.

quote:
It's got some kind of round contol behind the drivers seat its black in color and has 4 positions. I turned it and the lights go out. how does it work or whats it for?

Got a picture? Someone here might recognize it. How heavy are the wires to it?

quote:
There is a control board (lack of better term) that shows 3 gas gauges and the battery cond. there are only 2 fill caps ive found which ones which and where does the generator get its supply? Any help would be greatly appriciated

Again, a picture will help us help you.

Chances are you just have two fuel tanks. The genset usually gets its supply from the largest tank, but has a shortened pickup tube so it will not run you empty. Usually the gen stops drawing at 1/4 tank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that was fast. I have very little experiance with computors my son had to show me how to post this.Ive never done this chat room or forum stuff before Good part I think I know why my generator quit running. One of the gauges reads under 1/4 the thing ran about 10 min.and stalled. won't start back up. I will get some gas and see what happens! I will have to get my son to help me with the pictures I have the camera just never tryed to send pictures yet thanks tim

Posts: 8 | Location: eagle mi. | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camaro tim:
I will have to get my son to help me with the pictures I have the camera just never tryed to send pictures yet thanks tim

Tim, once you get the pictures on your computer, go to Dave's instructions below. I would suggest putting your pictures in My Pictures on your computer.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/7131081232

Here is another thread where posting photos is discussed:

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/...611039061#3611039061

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"there are only 2 fill caps..."
WE know but Camaro Tim may not: There may be a domestic-water-fill-cap that vaguely resembles a fuel cap - be careful.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
The control board doesn't show gas levels, but should show propane, fresh water, and gray and black water, however, you may have only one tank for black and gray.

You probably have two 45 gal gas tanks with two filler caps but both should be locked and have gas caps. You probably have one filler which looks like gas but has a cheaper plastic cap that would be city water.

You generator gets gas from your gas tank but is set up so that if yor tank nears 1/4 empty it won't start. You genset can not take you last drop of gas.

You should have a gage on the dash with a switch from front and back gas tanks.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
We need pix of all the stuff you have questions about. Words don't always convey what you're looking at, particularly where your description isn't common terminology. Odds are someone on this site can identify every item and explain its use and function. Many of us learned by trial & error, though many are well-experienced with RV's, as well.

Your impression that these are special rigs is correct. Top-of-the-line in their day, they still can't be beaten for the quality of the basic coach structure. Of course you're dealing with folks who have a bias toward Barths.

Chassis, appliances, & accessories are largely standard items. There's not much required for maintenance that isn't available off the shelf somewhere.

Good luck, and glad to have you with us.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's the broken record post from a fellow 454 owner. If the brakes drag, replace the rubber brake lines first. They close off allowing fluid to flowto the caliper under pressure but don't allow fluid to flow back, thus mimicking a stuck caliper. Check the air bags, inside the coil springs on the front and over the leafs on the back. They make the coach drive near to perfect when working and inflated properly.
Nuff said fer now, good luck and let's see some pix.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
On a coach that age, I would replace the hoses anyway.

Search this site for advice on tag axle brakes.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
My guess the round black control might be a marine battery switch. I had one that sounds just like that. 4 positions;
batt #1, both, Batt #2, and off.
The labeling on mine was simply 1, 1+2, 2, 0.
The 0 or off position was at the bottom.
Hope this helps and good luck with your new toy!

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shtym thanks I think you figured out what is is It has the both & off positions what does it do it also says shut the engine off? gotta get back to work. Thanks everyone for the support I will get pitures soon Thanks Tim

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's a battery switch. The reason it says to shut the engine off is that if you throw the switch with the engine running, there will be a momentary disconnect of the battery, and that could fry your alternator. Newer switches have an interrupter that shut the exciter on the alternator off, and so those switches can be used when the engine's running.

Replacing the current switch with the interruptor requires additional wiring.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post