Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

30' Breakaway for sale in Florida
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi all--considering the purchase of a 30' Breakaway. Spoke to the owner yesterday and he reports that the coach came from up North and there is the usual rust underneath and that the compartment doors have the usual electrolysis problem. Buyers so far have been put off by the staining on the ceiling from past water leaks. As I am in NJ and the unit is in Florida, I would be purchasing it sight unseen. Have wanted a Barth for some time now and can't get up the nerve to jump. What do you all think?

Posts: 31 | Location: Wherever we happen to be | Member Since: 02-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I would be very concerned with a northern "corrosion special" unit, especially if the seller is mentioning it. At today's bargain prices, it seems far more sane to get a southern rig that has not experienced the ravages of salt. Even then there will be needs and issues to occupy your time. Heck, in this case you still have to come all the way to Florida to get a rusty one anyway.

The thing I can tell anyone about corrosion (lived in the nor'east for 47 years of winters), is that it's not just the obvious corrosion to worry about. Every nut, bolt, fastener, hinge, fuel line, brake line, etc. is degenerating. As the old saying goes, rust never sleeps.

Whatever you think you saved buying the "project" will get sucked back up if it was rust that made it a bargain.

Hey....you asked!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I bought my 1989 Barth in Lake Havasu City, AZ. You would not believe how perfect the underside of my beloved Barth is. There is virtually zero rust or corrosion to be found anywhere. The exhaust is original but still looks brand new.

I spent 4 months searching around the SW for a motorhome before I found mine. If you can do the same, I'd suggest it. I still have plenty of work to do on my Barth but body work isn't one of them.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Of course, it's important to remember these things have wheels. Just because it's for sale in a good region doesn't mean it spent its life there. When I bought my Barth it was in Cleveland (a know salt and rust area) yet my Barth was virtually rust free. Why? The owners spent every winter in Az.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
There have been many versions of this theme in my life but the most succinct has always been: "If you can't afford really good, you really can't afford a really good deal on a really nice fixer upper. Really!"
Home, car, boat, motor coach, makes no difference. The time, cost and opportunity for enjoyment will not be recaptured in the savings.
This view of reality will not prevent guys from rushing in where angels fear to tread Wink. There are reasons we have an odd number of chromosomes.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
You might ask if someone here can check it out for you. We have quite a few members down the FLA way....
I believe that "rust" can mean a lot of different things. All depends on what stage the rust may be in. Went and looked at lots of classic cars that were "rust free". In the car world, rust free means it isn't rusting thru. And truefully, most all motorized vehicles have rust, though it may be just surface, unless they are in a clean, humidity free environment their whole life.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Moonbeam makes a good point. My Barth did spend a few years in MI but spent the winters in AZ until the owners retired in AZ. A trade off for being rust free in AZ was anything that was rubber was destroyed by the desert. Since I'm better at replacing rubber than doing metalwork, I was thankful.

It took a year of searching and untold dollars of travel expenses before I found what I was looking for. I saw rust buckets here in IL and lots of sun faded, delaminated fiberglass in AZ. That is why the Barth seemed like a great choice. I originally went looking for a Revcon but didn't like the fact parts aren't as available and not many folks who know how to work on them.

Appearance wise, my Barth isn't all that different then the flat nose Revcons I was looking for....a box on wheels.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine was originally sold in MI, so endured salt for years. There is significant rust, but nowehere vital. It's limited to the lowest stringers and crossmembers used to support the aluminum skin, and only in the very front and back. I intend to relearn welding and will replace them. No major disassembly is required.

A couple of the basement compartments have rust spots - one ha a couple of small holes.

Other components show no major rust - even surface rust is minimal.

I would rather have these relatively minor issues than dryrot from water intrusion on a stick-and-staple coach - or one with a poorly protected steel frame.

Where is this FL coach?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi again and thanks for all the responses. This Barth is the one in the Miama/Dade area that was reported to be on Craigslist. I am not looking for a bargain--I just think I would like to own a Barth after all the others we have had. Guess I should ask the owner to send more more detailed pictures of my areas of concern. Thanks again for all your input.

Posts: 31 | Location: Wherever we happen to be | Member Since: 02-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Ya know...there is a Breakaway for sale here in New Jersey. Check out "1992 30' Breakaway for sale" by apoccia in the coaches for sale section. Maybe you can work out a deal.....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bruce and Kathleen--I haunt the For Sale Forum and have seen this coach and the one in West Virginia. I was really hard pressed when you had yours for sale last year(?) and it was only about 30 miles from us. We are in Marlton.
Just can't seem to get up my nerve to make the jump!

posted Hide Post
You should have came and checked it out. Because we got a good deal on our present Breakaway, we offered it for sale at a good deal also. Yea, it needed a few things to make it perfect, but was definitely in very good condition. The new owner is from here in town (Vineland) and finally, because of health issues, took it out with us last weekend for the first time (1 yr. ownership) camping. And as expected, everything worked perfectly. As I helped him get situated and teaching him the operation of the coach while camping, I realized all the great things about our first Barth. His back up camera works and ours doesn't. His awnings are MUCH better than ours. His TV's are clearer than ours (my next repair on Barth II). He has more outside storage space than us. But, as with all RV purchases, each that you see has it's own +'s and -'s. I appreciate the 230HP and 6 speed we have presently, as I tow a car or cycle trailer quite often. But as I posted on this site often, Barth I did the job also, just not as easy as Barth II. My wife likes the dining booth in Barth II that we did not have in Barth I.
Sorry I rambled, but my point here...find the Barth that fits your needs, has been cared for by the prior owner(s) and is in your price range and GO FOR IT! You won't be sorry. They really are extremely well made and will give you years of enjoyment if cared for properly. Yea, there are always going to be repairs needed. And some are more urgent than others, which mean immediate attention rather than "when I get around to it". But that will be the same with any RV you buy unless you can afford to purchase a new one every time the warranty is running out.
I believe that a Barth is the best bang for the dollars you are going to spend if the coach fits your needs. Where else, or what else, are you going to purchase a coach that is built like a Barth for the money they are being sold for?

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the words of truth and encouragement! Thank you for sharing.