Forums    General Discussions    New Barth (for us)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Barth (for us)
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted
FWIW, olroy finally has his Barth - only 35 years after he first yearned for one. Not as well maintained as Carl David's Regal I looked in CA, last December, and a lot pricer too, but Mama loves the center twins - rear bath floor plan.

1990 33' Regal SE, P30 with Neway tag, 454 w/Banks. Trouble is, I'm 1500 miles from home in Yuma, and still have the S.O.B. here. Got 6 wks. to deal with that problem. Kinda dumb, but what the hey, I'm 75, and that's my excuse.

Picked the Barth up in Northern AZ, Tuesday, 1/13, and drove to Yuma. When we were out of the mountains, the heat wouldn't turn off - bad heater control valve. Tried a/c to temper the heat, got nothing, and fried our eyeballs all the way home. Cruise inoperative, and on the last hill, the speedo quit.

Thus ended day one in the new Barth. Hooked up the water next morning to a gusher under the kitchen sink. The 'properly winterized" fresh water system wasn't. Freezing blew the ends off both the elbows leading up to the sink.

Naturally, they're under a non-removable 3/8" floor of teak plywood, 3' back, beyond arms-reach for an ordinary man, under a shelf 8" above. Couldn't get the top shelf out either. For a moment, I yearned for a cardboard and staples ordinary R.V. But only for a moment.

Took a full day to put together the tools and technique to cut out a section of floor to reach the elbows. Replaced them with hardware store elbows. Thus ended day two of Barth ownership.

Took half of day 3 to put it all together, but at least we got water. Try that when you're 25, let alone 75.

Lot's of routine chassis problems to deal with, mainly neglect and disuse, but no biggies yet.

Some unique Barth problems - useless hydraulic cabinet door closers - (10 doors = 20 supports @ $22 a throw - must be a cheaper, more effective solution - suggestions?). Sagging headliner - hate to replace it - the fabric is so pretty - suggestions?)
Lingering fuel odor in gas tank area - hope I can reach it from top. Got some broken & missing rivets in the skin, too.

Next week I'll do lube, oil & filter, get the tranny serviced, and fill the propane (got my fingers crossed on that one), check the belts & hoses & replace as needed.

Then starts the project - first one (after the coach stuff is finished) - replace trhe heater control valve.

Each of my last two projects (restoring a '73 Xplorer, and bringing the S.O.B. up to snuff), were going to be my last. Now I've got another one. Must be an addiction.

I'd like to make Quartzite, it's only 80 miles from here, but this project won't be ready. May drive up in the toad.

FWIW, this coach has the same color scheme as the Regal SE on p. 13 of the gallery. A previous owner has named it "Da Coach." Anybody know the history?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
olroy-- you have the perfect attitude! I hope when I'm 75 I will look at life as an adventure!!

Gary

Posts: 15 | Location: Greensburg, IN, USA | Member Since: 11-03-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIIW, I just bought some piston closers for my cabinets from Camper's Choice. They cost something like $21 for a bag of 10 closers. I have not been able to install them yet since the Barth is still buried in snow but they look like they might work.
Gary in Northern Idaho

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
Roy I'll send you info later today on the shocks for the cabinets. Just finished installing the last of all 24 shocks last week. Purchased them from original supplier,
@ $14.30 ea.(freight included). I'll send you a contact name,800#, etc. If you have any problems with the hinges, I can help you with a (cheap) supplier of original equipment. Enjoy your new Baby......carl

THE TOY 88 33'Regal Coach # 3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Carl - that info on the door closers looks interesting. My '88 has all the closers shot also. Could you please post the info on the ones you found.

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
FYI..After researching the Web I found that Attwood/Springlift (OEM)had the best product and price.You can to call direct to Jennifer @ 1-616-897-2370 and order part # SL 1-20 She charged me $171.57 for 12 shocks. I was amazed with the results and ordered another 12 shocks for the bedroom area. I would suggest having several extra "E" clips, they have a tendency to fly away when being removed,and tough to find when they hide.
I had a broken hinge and located GRASS (OEM)hinges @ cabinetparts.com 800-857-8721.The bronze color finish used in our Barths has been discontinued but the current model is more than acceptable. There is a $12.00 minimum order, so get an extra hinge or two,they are not expensive.
Still confronted with a problem with shocks for my Neway tag axle but that can be another thread...........carl

THE TOY 88 33' Regal LE Coach #3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Ok Dale, and one more. - Congratulations on your new Barth Olroy,
The adventure continues.
I�m also working on the plumbing under the kitchen sink and found it impossible to get in there easily. I removed what I could, and then made a cut with a small circular saw to the plumbing opening then used a sawzall very carefully to make the cut on the far side of that plumbing. I then glued and screwed a piece of stock under one side of panel and will use screws to attach the two pieces together so that whoever wants in that area later, will be able to, with out the pain that Olroy and I have had.

Picture of sink floor cut
------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

[This message has been edited by Jack (edited January 27, 2004).]

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
I found a place for gas shocks/closers for about $9.00 each, also the shocks for basement doors are inexpensive. I will post when I find the contact.

I have not ordered mine (something like $300 to replace all), so cannot cvouch for the product.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Barth did it or the previous owner, however, under the kitchen sink and under the bathroom sind the floor has been cut like a jig saw puzzle and with finger holes to remove the pieces for easy maintenance. There is then a piece of short pile carpet which is cut out to cover the whole floor. My only problem is getting to the back of the water heater to do a by pass. So I just drain it hook up the air and blow it out.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post