Forums    General Discussions    Getting bumped?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Getting bumped?
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
The last couple days have been frustrating when on this site. Every time I try to respond or post something I get bumped. AOL has encountered an error and needs to shut down. I went to Comcast and had the same thing happen but had to shut down completely to get back up. This is a cable modem and I don't have any problems anywhere else. Any input?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny,

I am sorry you are having problems. I am pretty confident they don't extend from Barthmobile. What is sound like to me, (and I am not an expert, just experienced) that you have a memory overload situation. If you do not have a bunch of windows open or another application that you are aware of running. I would first go to Run, type msconfig and click on the setup tap. Look at the things that are listed there. The are ram resident application like your anti-virus, printer utilities etc. If you have something there that is obviously not something you are familiar with uncheck the box. You could uncheck everything and you computer would still run, you just not get antivirus protection. Next, one thing that will cause the sympton you describe is a virus that is working in the background and overloading your memory momentarily. So run you antivirus. Then I would strongly suggest, if you haven't already, download Spybot, search and destroy. This is free and will search out cookies and other small application left by some of the websites you visit. They can also cause you problems.

I hope this helps, I know how frustrating it can be. Let me know how things work out.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Danny,

WARNING: I don't have a clue as to what I'm saying here...... Having said that:

I had same problem with MSN dial-up a couple times....I'm told it was a virus/worm/gremlin of some type that caused my modem connection to commit suicide whenever I tried to go online.

If it's Windows XP, you can restore your computer's settings to happier times... go to SYSTEM RESTORE via START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS......Just pick a date that you know was pre-problem days, click on it, and Windows does the rest.....

(I may have just totally exposed my stupidity 'bout things like this, but it worked for me!........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Your IE might be infected with adware/spyware. Give Mozilla a try.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I second Bill's suggestion to try Mozilla as your browser.....According to a recent NY Times story, ga-zillions of folks are signing on to the free service.....For me, Mozilla & Spybot catch a lot of garbage that previously got thru........

If for nothing else, Mozilla has gotten the attention of the Big Guys at MS, who so far have been satisfied with putting patches & bandaids on top of fixes on top of cures for Internet Explorer problems, most to little avail....Marketplace response will be to everyone's benefit. Bill Gates & his troops deserve every single billion bucks they've earned....We just gotta keep'em honest...........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post