Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
When do you plan to sell your motor home because of your health or your age? I have been talking to my wife and told her if she sees me not handling it the same way I have been to let me know. I do not want to hurt anybody with a 30,00# coach. Also hope I have enough sense to know when it is time....
lenny
PS> that will be the hardest decision I will have to make as to when to stop driveing

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
that will be the hardest decision I will have to make as to when to stop driveing

I think stopping driving completely and stopping driving a motor home are two different things. In fact, I can see myself modifying my driving of both MH and 4WD before I stop driving either one of them completely. Actually, I have modified my 4WD and motorcycle driving already, and have sold my dune buggy and race bikes. My daily bike is no longer as temptation-inducing as previously, either. Frowner

As I age, I can see myself being less adventurous with regard to extreme boondocking, since getting unstuck or unbroke can be quite demanding.

I have friends and family who still drive automobiles, but no longer drive RVs. Some (even Barthers) have downsized their RV to make it easier to drive and park. Some no longer back up their RV without a guide outside on a radio or cell phone. (I'm pretty much that way already)

Some states, in recognition of a person's aging eyesight, issue driver's licenses that restrict night driving. I long ago restricted myself to NO night flying and am presently doing as little night driving as possible. That goes double for the RV.

In short, there are accommodations and adjustments that can be made to reduce the demands of RV driving without quitting entirely.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
THANKS BILL I KNOW THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE FOUGHT OVER THIS IN THEIR MIND.I really would like to here more thoughts on this matter.I do not have edema when I am home but when we travel I get it and it hurts .But I am not giving up soon maybe 10 more years if I can make it that long.Short trips are ok
but wont go out more than 3 months.We can have just as much fun in the south there is a lot to see down here.

lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I don't have trouble with my eyes or my reflexes, my problem is fatigue. I'm good for 4 or 5 hours but then I start to get punchy. I have been so tired that I have had the sensation of sitting still and the road was moving past me. That's when it's time to find a Waffle House and fuel up with coffee and sugar.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had the sensation of sitting still and the road was moving past me

Yes, I know that feeling.

A problem with a big DP is they hold enough fuel to go on for 900 miles or better. What's that, 16hrs or so! I've found it beneficial to pull into rest areas and take a little walk, smoke a cigar, have a cup of Joe, anything to break up the monotony.

As far as aging, I'm not yet feeling any real debilitation, but I realize no one gets out alive.

I respect anyone that plans ahead and deals with the aging issue in a safe and logical way. Usually heroics in an RV are at someone else s expense.

I think there can be possible alternative uses. My Florida neighbor parked her RV at the daughter's house for visits when her husband (the driver) died unexpectedly last year. How about setting you old friend (Barth) up in a nice setting as a permanent camp? I've even thought about cultivating a cleverly spaced team of grand kids as slave drivers! Anyway, think long and hard about win-win scenarios before just placing the irrevocable ad.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that I'm the oldest Barth owner/driver on the site(leaning closely on 83). Still have good health, cateracts removed, eye lids lifted, and feel comfortable driving "THE TOY". I recently invested considerable money to replace parts and up grade our Breakaway and plan to leave next Monday for a stay at a Florida state park. It is our intent to visit our state parks due to half price for state seniors/residents and not involving long drives. I considered selling my coach but I would regret my action the day after the sale. I have asked the Lord to help me when it's time to hang up my love of driving "THE TOY" How did Roy Rogers say it, HAPPY TRAILS...........................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did Roy Rogers say it, HAPPY TRAILS...........................

Or to put a more modern twist on it...Dude, you rock!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm pushing 82, still drive the car, & have a "Class B," but we sold the Barth after I spent my 76th b-day in a hospital on Phoenix, in 2005 with a recurrence of cardiovascular disease. I had a 4-way bypass in 1995, when I was 66, kept on RV-ing for another 10 years, but had to hang it up when they discovered new uncorrectable blockages.

We were in Why, AZ when the trouble hit, I drove myself to Ajo where they had doctors, my wife accompanied me in the ambulance from Ajo to Phoenix, & our daughter had to fly down to take care of her while I was out of it.

On our way home from Phoenix, we got as far as Indio, CA., & I had to call my youngest son to help drive the rest of the way home.

Took one local trip in the Barth that summer, & decided I couldn't do it any more, so we put it up for sale. I miss both boating & RV-ing, but the inability to do that stuff now is just part of joys of advancing maturity.

My advice to anyone is keep it up as long as you can, but try not to wait too long like I did.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post