Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regal or Regency
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Can you tell me the difference between a Regal and Regency? I have looked everywhere I can think of to see if my 85 Barth if there is anything stating what it is.

Posts: 24 | Location: Andrews, IN USA | Member Since: 09-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'll defer to anyone with greater expertise, but it appears to me that nearly all Regals are front engine gas, while Regencies are diesel pushers.

There doesn'tseem to be much difference in the quality of cabinetry and furnishings, though there are diferences in style, and hardwoods. Most Regals seem to have Formica countertops, Regencies Corian.

There are exceptions. I know of one gas pusher, though I don't know if it was Regal, Regency , or something else, and some Regals, including my '90 Regal SE, have Corian counters.

If your '85 is front engine gas, it's likely a Regal. If a diesel pusher, most likely Regency.

Dave is trhe real fountaihead of information on this subject.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I couldn't sleep last night so I got up around 2:30 AM and wrote a huge response to this and somehow I hit the wrong button and deleted it all. So this response will be shorter....maybe

First let me say that there were no absolutes with Barth so nothing anyone says is for sure.

Regals were and are gas coaches built on Chevy P-30, as well as Oshkosh, John Deere and even International Harvester chassis which had the Ford 460 engine. However, we have seen Regals with the GM 6.2, 6.5 diesel as well as the Cummins V-555 engine. All Regals were 96" wide coaches.

The post 1985 Regency's were primarily Gillig air ride chassis and the CAT 3208-T engine from 250-300 hp. (however some were built with Cummins 8.3L engine) The Regency of course had all of the goodies like tile floors, and Corian. They had light strips along the floor and above the cabinets, piston powered over head cabinet hardware, heated storage bays, some had freezers, etc. True highline coaches. The Regency came in a 96" and 102" width. You can tell a wide body by the small strip of glass in the middle of the windshield. Also Regals had a 6 inch radius on the edge of the roof and Regency's had a 12 inch radius. You can see the difference as well as the wide body windshield modification on the picture below.

One other point of interest is that in 1987-88 (I believe) Barth built a gas coach on a John Deere chassis which had all of the luxuries of a Regency. Corian, tile floors, 12 inch radius on the roof etc. and called it the Royale. Jack Knott, VP of Sales for Barth told me they only made 5 of them because of the weight.

Note; Many of you old timers recall Linda from Canada who had bought a Royale and was wanting to take her ailing husband on a tour around the US. She was looking for a toad as you might recall. Well I talked with her a couple of months ago and she had traversed the width and breadth of the US with not problems. But her husband, sadly, was not doing well. They ended up in Yuma and fell in love with it and bought a park model in Country Roads, a huge 55+ RV resort in Yuma. They hadn't sold the Royale yet but she was considering it. Even with the health difficulties they have experienced I think that is a wonderful story, and I think she does too.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 17, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well there is ONE ABSOLUTE, and that is that they, the factory, could be talked in to building anything.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post