Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Saturn
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
I am changing from tow dolly to Saturn four on the ground. Just installed Roadmaster EX Brackets. Took longer then I thought it would. The instructions do not tell you everything, a few modifications where in order. Also purchased a Brake Buddy and used it today on test run. Will have a tow dolly for sale.
Charles

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Way to go Charles. I think you will find the 4 down option to be far superior to the dolly. Just a hint, after your first trip do a second on those bracket bolts. Had a guy tell me that one time his bolts came loose and while traveling a few hundred miles on a very bumpy road the holes ripped on that unibody construction and tore the whole front of the car off. Now I don't think the guy was pulling my leg, but I went straight to my local mechanic who has an impact wrench and had him make sure they were good and tight.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 01, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Charles,
I'm following suit, but I think I'll go with a 2004 Honda Accord instead of the Saturn. I know that the Saturn does not register miles when towed. The Honda also has a digital odometer. Does anyone know if it will register miles when being towed? Since the ignition switch will need to be switched to the accessory position, I thought that may energize the odometer to work and register miles.

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If you tow in the acc position, there will be a battery drain. I use a green knob disconnect on my batt terminal. That might shut off your odometer.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h,
I'm sure you are aware that the acc position is used to unlock the steering wheel so when towing the car can steer. Also, since I'll be using a BrakeBuddy I think I need power in the car to support operation of the BrakeBuddy.

What are your thoughts on this? What is a green knob disconnect? Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I unlock my steering for towing. To avoid battery drain, I use a green knob disconnect.

http://www.jcwhitneyco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Pr...gId=-1&storeId=10101

The one for side terminal batteries seems to have a black knob.

Any load you do not want disconnected can be directly connected to the hot side of the disconnect. Like clock, radio, brakes, etc.

If you put the knob in your pocket, it will be harder to steal your car, too.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h, This is what I thought you were talking about. I'm going to get the car and the parts and assemble everything myself. I'll most likely have further conversations with you as I proceed. Thanks

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited January 01, 2004).]

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
If you use the green knob, be alert for the possibility of the green knob vibrating down to make contact as you drive. This occurs with my 4wd, but a Honda is much smoother, so it may not happen. I guess it could vibrate loose and fall out, too. I either remove the knob or slip a plastic washer with a keyhole-shaped hole under the knob and tighten it. Let me know it you need a better description.

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Come on you guys you are making this a great big deal. Unless you have a bad battery or something or unless you have your radio or lights on you shouldn't have any problems just putting the key on Acc. On Hondas and some other cars I think if you just pull one fuse then your digital odometer is disabled. Now if you are really concerned about your brake buddy using your cars battery, (and you shouldn't) then what you can do is get one of those 12 v chargers that have the cigarette lighter thing on it and charge it up while you are parked at a campground and then plug your BB into that. I have been told (depending on the model) that if it is totally charged it can run your BB for 3 days travel with out charging.

Trust me guys if this will work flawlessly for me, (and it has 100% of the time) it will for you. I know that there is a certain nervousness about this towing stuff. That's why I had everything installed and never towed the car for almost 6 months.. Bottom line, no big deal....

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 01, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dave,
You need to understand, for me, any technical project requires me to learn as much as I can about the project before doing the job. On top of that, I'm a gizmo junkie. Bill h has been there and done that and for me that is useful. I agree that most people won't and don't need to get as involved, but I like to get involved. I'd rather fix or build something than watch a football game (this should cause a stir).

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited January 02, 2004).]

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Bill: There are lots of things I would rather do than watch....(fill in the blank, football or most anything else) and fiddle around with my Barth can take precedence over lots of other things. As for towing, it's VERY important to understand concerns, limitations, safety features, braking systems, etc, etc, etc and lots of etc. Ask anyone who's ever had a problem and you'll find that it's worth knowing as much as you can. There are lots of variables in the towing equation.
For many of us who take on small and not so small projects, understanding what's involved ahead of time can save a lot of headaches, heartaches and money aches later. I remember something about "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" or something like that! Happy travelin'....

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I watched a football game once. My team lost. It was just yeaterday, I think. Rose Bowl. WAAAAAAAH.

posted Hide Post
Bill H.
being yor're a former iowegien are you saying that you didn't watch the hawkeyes?
looked pretty good wamping florida
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Mike, you're right-I shoulda watched Iowa. But my favorite team is either UCLA or whichever team is playing USC.

BTW, you just brought back a pleasant memory of listening to the Iowa games on the car radio Saturdays while road-hunting for pheasant with my dad, an alum. Sometimes he would get so excited, he would forget we were hunting.

posted Hide Post
AHHHH those were good days were they not?
my dad passed 2 days before my 21st but i remember road hunting from newton to grinnell many times before that. phesant,quail, rabbit, squirrel. many times we would not have had meat if it wern't for hunting. i still have the only longgun he ever had. harrington& richardson topper m48 410 single shot. he never missed, couldn't afford to i guess. thanks for the memories.

mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post