Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TIRES
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/07
posted
I need tires for the Barth. I am looking at TOYO M-124Z. Does anybody have any thing good or bad to say about them.Desperate for opinions!
Thanks lu38re

Posts: 12 | Location: Columbia Station ,Ohio USA | Member Since: 02-08-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the specific tire you're looking at, but Toyos are the choice of many big rig truckers today. I've had good success with them on cars. Bridgestones have a good reputation too. I've had problems with Michelins on a motorhome.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ditto here. I have had Michelin trouble, use Bridgestone, have heard good things about Toyo. My P30s have liked Bridgestones. I think it is the firm sidewalls.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
With 6 years on them, I've got to replace my Michelin XRV's. I called Toyo, but they wouldn't make any reccomendations. Seems their lawyers told the engineering group that they weren't allowed to do that due to possibile liability. I called their local dealer and was told they didn't have any info either. Has anybody seen something like a consumer report for RV tires? If I spend two grand, I want to do it right.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The gurus who write for the magazines recommend all-steel radials for motorhomes, but they are pricey. Goodyear is the only all-steel brand I know of.

Of all the tire shops i've dealt with over the years, Les Schwab, a West coast/Northwest chain, has given the best service. Their top line auto tires are Toyos.

My tag axle tires are over the line age-wise, & the drive axle is geting close. The fronts have a couple years left.

When the day comes to replace them all, I'll probably go for Bridgestones or Toyos in the fattest P-metric size the rims will take. P-metrics have a wider footprint than the 8R 19.5s.

Generally speaking, the more rubber you put on the road, the better your stability. If I win the Lotto, I'll get new wheels & all-steel tires.

My rear axle with 6 tires is lightly loaded, but the front is close to the max for 8R 19.5s in the heaviest load range.

There are several posts about tires on this website. Try a search for tires, & if you're not confused enough now, you will be then.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited July 24, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, what style of Bridgestone's would you reccomend? And how would I specify p-metric? Right now, I'm running 225r7019.5 Michelin XRVs. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/07
posted Hide Post
I though the TOYO M124Z is a all steel tire.

Posts: 12 | Location: Columbia Station ,Ohio USA | Member Since: 02-08-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had Toyo M120z's on the front for a couple of years and driven all over the Western US with them... They're still round and they hold air and wear seems to be minimal. I'd buy another set no problem.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I've looked on the Toyo web site and the only two that they use "RV" in the description of the tire are the M-143 and the M-120Z. Bridgestone doesn't seem to have any info on tires specifically for RVs, nor have I yet to find any about Goodyears. Will keep trying and pass on any info I discover.

posted Hide Post
Not to be FUNNY, but maybe the info is under TRUCKS. Just a thought.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Did find the Goodyear info. The tire they reccommend is the G670RvUnisteel. I've e-mailed Bridgestone because none of their tires show an RV usage. Their web site doesn't have an RV catagory, only light and medium duty trucks. Some of the manufacturer's web sites do have specific info for RVs, but I haven't found that with Bridgestone

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with the Bridgestone M724F. They are steel sidewalls and tread. I bought the 8R19.5 because I like the extra height as we boondock almost exclusively. Before I bought them, I talked and listened a lot, and the consensus was BS or Toyo. There seemed to be much fewer horror stories with those two brands. My only horror stories are with the M word. My tag tires are Road Runners which no one seems to have heard of. They came with the coach.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bill h. so are you saying TAG tires are ok to run more than 5-7 years?

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smith Brother:
bill h. so are you saying TAG tires are ok to run more than 5-7 years?

Dale

Does your coach have a tag?

posted Hide Post
Yes, PRICE TAG. NICE try, answer a question with a question.

Dale