Tools
Reply To This Topic

TIRES
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
I'm looking into Goodyear's for my replacements for next year on my Regency (255/70 R22.5 load range H). Mine are now around six year old. I haven't heard anything bad about them. Does anyone know otherwise?

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
For 8r19.5 I put in a vote for Bridgestones.
They ride great and even if you let them flat spot they round out in a mile or two.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan
Do you have the Bridgestone R187 or the RM724? The tread pattern on the 724 looks pretty aggressive which would probably be why Bill likes them--being a boondocker guy. The R187 looks like it might be a little quieter, more for the interstates. Both are about an inch narrower than the Goodyears.
Jim

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jim, you are correct in my preference for an aggressive tread for boondocking. And aggressive treads are usually noisier. On a really quiet car, like a luxury car, I notice the treads. My pickumup truck and 4Runner have 12.5 X 33 BFG TA's, and I can barely hear them on the BB truck. The 4Runner has such a busy little engine I can't hear them. On my front-engined Barth, the tires can't be heard above the engine.

Could we hear from some Regency owners on tire noise?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear tire noise on concrete, and it is mostly joints, just a little SLAP. On BLACK-TOP, very little is heard. We do hear a mild wind sound thru the windows. With the engine nearly 32 feet to the rear we can talk in a normal tone. We normally drive 60-65. That's about 2200 rpm.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After eight years, a mich. xrv steer tire failed. 40k miles.(80% tread)

I asked the road service people to bring a 11R22.5 that would hold air. The service brought that and a 265 R 75 Goodyear, which I bought instead. I now have five new Goodyears and that used one, and four 80% tread mich. XRV's for sale.(I kept one for a spare, I still don't where I'm going to carry it. probably under on a steel wheel)

I have been happy with a little bigger footprint, although I get a little rub in extreme condition.

Posts: 31 | Location: crestline,ohio | Member Since: 02-27-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/07
posted Hide Post
I emailed toyo and this what they replyed with.
Thank you for contacting us, we appreciate your interest in our products unfortunately,our company is currently not recommending our commercial truck products be used in a motorhome application. We know that in the past thay have been adapted for motorhome use but we have recently revised our guidelines for the intended use of this type product.

Sincerely
Nancy Sanchez
Senior Manager,Consumer Relations
Toyo Tire USA Corp

Posts: 12 | Location: Columbia Station ,Ohio USA | Member Since: 02-08-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Got a price on the Goodyear G670RV Unisteel from my local Tire Discount store and the installed price was less than buying Michelins from the Tire Rack and having them put on by the local RV place for 17 bucks a piece. Guess I'll go the Goodyear route.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I have the 187 Bridgestone. I didn't know there even were two configurations but I'm strictly highway so I got the right one. They are generally pretty quiet but on older concrete roads they can make some noise. They ride and handle very nice and they cost about 200bucks apiece mounted and balanced at the locally owned tire store.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
With the message from Toyo that has been posted, I can pass on a story a Toyo engineer in Atlanta told me last week. I had asked him for reccomendations and he said that there had been a couple of incidents on the West Coast involving Toyo tires and motor homes and as a result, their lawyers told them not to make any reccomendations for motor homes. The post LU38RE made is even more specific.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone have an opinion regarding wheel balancing? I heard a truck tire store manager say it's unnecessary to balance the rear wheels....?

------------------
Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Good question folks and when I recently change some tires they put the powder in rather than balancing them.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Dave, Id like to know a little more about the powder but that being said, here's a humble opinion. Back in the early 70's we used to squirt some kind of gunk into the motorcycle tires and go like heck and this was supposed to balance the tires. I guess it worked because I'm still here to talk about it. I cannot imagine any tire expert saying balancing is unnecessary in anything bigger than a lawn mower. As I said in this thread, I buy my tires from a locally owned and operated tire place, [Lanning's, for you in the Sarasota area], and they wouldn't think of installing a tire without balancing it. Maybe I need a little education in this regard, and if anyone is interested, maybe I can get someone from Lanning's to give us a web seminar on this subject. If Dave gives me the OK I'll contact them and see if they're interested.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Lannings does the tire work for every RV dealer around and they have 4 or 5 coaches being serviced at any given time.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited July 26, 2005).]

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hilarlee:
Does anyone have an opinion regarding wheel balancing? I heard a truck tire store manager say it's unnecessary to balance the rear wheels....?

My tire dealer said the same thing. Said BS were close enough for a truck chassis.

I had Michelins balanced on a Southwind and I noticed no difference. Perhaps Michelins were already close, perhaps the Southwind ws so rickety it didn't know the difference......results inconclusive.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I bought 4 goodyears for the back of my bus last year in Lake Havasu at a truck tire place.Talked to the guy while he changed them. He said that he would see only about 1 out of a hundred tires that were perfectly balanced on their own. I decided to have mine balanced even though it was an extra 25 bucks a wheel. 1 tire was perfect the others needed anywhere from 4 to 9 ounces of weight and if i remember right he said it was common to see as much as 20 ounces needed to balance tires of this size. I figure it was money well spent because i did not want to find out at 70-75 miles an hour and a hundred miles down the road that i had a problem with vibration. As far as powders or liquids for balancing? Don't see how they are going to work....at speed centrifical force should spread them evenly around the tire,...so you are still going to have a tire that has more weight in one spot that puts the tire out of balance. Maybe somebody else knows something about how they are supposed to work....Bill H ? Lee? maybe even Ron if he hasn't blown himself up yet messing around with propane tanks....hey! what was that big flash of light to the southeast? Oh, it was just the shuttle taking off!

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post