Forums    General Discussions    Visas Required for Canadians in Mexico???
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Visas Required for Canadians in Mexico???
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Happy New Year to All -
We are heading out any day now - as soon as the Brake Buddy arrives. Waiting is killing us....We are heading south and west and have thought about Mexico - but not sure what paperwork we will need to visit Mexico. I carry a British Passport and my husband has an expired Canadian Passport. He only needs his Cdn birth certificate to enter USA so we are wondering if anyone knows what we might need to enter Mexico.
Thanks
Linda & Dave
1989 Barth Royale 33'

Posts: 75 | Location: Ontario CANADA | Member Since: 09-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much Bill - These sites are great - I was able to get the information I needed - I am glad no visa is required and that my husband can get in without his passport! We will likely stick to the gulf side as it is closer for us and we have never been anywhere west at all so Mexico seems great for the weather!

Posts: 75 | Location: Ontario CANADA | Member Since: 09-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Correct! Passport is not necessary but more than acceptable. If you cross at Nuevo Laredo, it's worth the extra few miles to cross further up the river at Columbia........no hassle crossing and no traffic. Enjoy the weather. We've been down here now for a month and it's just terrific. We're on the Pacific side and should you venture over this way, do not go to Durango. Roads and mountains are AWFUL and it took us 7 hours to go 198 miles. Better to cross farther south or enter from AZ on the north. But we look forward to the Gulf side some other time. Happy travels!

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sugar - We looked on-line for roads with delays or construction and in Mexico it states not to traverse the roads on the north west side in Durango county as the bandits are rampant due to the remoteness and terrain and it is not recommended to take the roads there at all. Hence, we will likely cross over farther south. Thanks for the info.
Linda & Dave
89 Barth Royale

posted Hide Post
I was under the impression getting into mexico was very easy, but getting back into the US is a pain.... you might want to double check what it will take to get back into the US....

My wife is Indian(dot not the feather), and she has her green card and has been married to me(US born citizen) for going on 5 years, and we had been thinking of going into mexico, and we found out she would have a lot of trouble getting back into the US without a passport....

Posts: 10 | Location: Indianapolis, IN,US | Member Since: 07-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Say didn't i hear about a new law that says that any Canadians passing thru the U.S. going to Mexico have to take along a U.S. citizen with them ...all expenses paid of course. I am sure i heard that somewhere.... and if not, it should be a law!!! (:<)

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linda you can just give me a call and i will give you directions to my house so you can swing by on your way....hmmm better go start packing my bags....lets see, shorts, sunblock,toothbrush,hat,sunglasses,....that outta do it!!!

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welllll - the Barth is supposed to be the best so it should hold all of you - meet us at Durango Pass - (hide from the bandits till we get there!) -
Our Brake Buddy finally arrived - took 2 days to get from South Florida to Toronto Canada - and twelve days for Canada Post to deliver it to me the 120 miles from Toronto! Figures - Canada Post is privately owned and the service is terrible - typical of what we get here in Canada! But at least it finally arrived! We are all set to go early in the morning - the toad is hooked up, the food and beverages are onboard and all we have to do is hop in and leave! Good thing too as it is 15 below (Celcius) here today and very windy. We are hoping to get through the snowy areas of Michigan and Ohio before too much falls. Likely go straight south till we hit Interstate 10 and then head west. Dave hates cold weather so the quicker we hit a better climate than here, the better.
Likely we will go to Quartzite too on the 23rd.
Linda & Dave
1989 Barth Royale
(Heading south-west for 3-4 months)

posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....call me skepticle (sp?)but i don't think they are gonna go by Durango to pick me up, sounds like a trick. Better to ambush them when they hit I-10. Actually we are in the process of packing up and hope to have everything sold or in storage and be on the road by the 21st or thereabouts. Plan to go to Yuma for a day or two then to Quartzsite for 2-3 days then to Lake Havasu for the rest of the winter before we head to Or. and WA. for the summer. Like Linda & Dave, we can't wait!!!!!

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I travel to Mexico a lot for work. Actually driving across the border. The border crossing is always worse coming into the US than going into Mexico. You might have a real problem coming from Mexico into the US without an updated passport and Canadian plates. (Heck, you might have a problem crossing from Canada into the US). A co-worker is a Canadian living in the US as a permanent resident (green card) and has no problem crossing back and forth, as long as his paperwork is up to date.

You should be able to get that passport expedited (read$). But, the money should be worth it. I would strongly suggest that you get all of your paperwork correct. If the terror alert goes up, so will the scrutiny at the borders. If the scrutiny goes up, your stay in Mexico might be extended longer than you want. You can decide how you want to spend your time and money. Good luck.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Just a small warning to sportsmen in our midst.

Mexico has EXTREMELY strict laws regarding firearms and ammunition.

Possession of even ONE round of ammunition will very quickly put you in the pokey.

It is famously hard to get out of Mexican jails, and the State dept. is not much help.

A word to the wise...

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I have one additional suggestion which I am sure would not intentionally apply to anyone on this website. However, many years ago I used to go fishing up in Nester Falls, Ontario. I and one other "older" guy (we were in our late 30's) would go together while the rest of the group (in their 20's) would go in a van. Some of these guys would periodically imbibe in some weed. We told them never to try to take anything across the border. But we (the older guys) didn't trust them, that is why we drove separately. Well they never took anything across but under one seat was a small plastic film container which at one time did have something in it. A dog went after that like a bone and the Canadian border guards just ripped that van apart. They took all of the seats out, and went through every bag and when they were done they just left it to be cleaned up.

So if you are driving a used car across make sure you know the history of that car.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post