Forums    General Discussions    inspections by someone closer..
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

inspections by someone closer..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
Good Day, I'm currently in Maine, so just about as far away as one can be, from my regular roost in California. In looking around I see a number of fine coaches, all of course, being 1000's of miles distant. I'm wondering if folks in the past has enlisted members that might be closer to a unit-for-sale, for a personal, up-close view, rudimentary inspection and over-all recommendation for a potential buyer some distance away.. Obviously, its just that person's POV and Caveat emptor reigns supreme. I am a member of a military vehicle site and people there do that service for members alot. Just curious, of course any expenses would be paid and maybe a finders fee, etc..

Just wondering..

Mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This has been done before with some success but there are some problems.

Your best bet is to find a professional mechanic near the coach. (Not the seller's mechanic unless known to be independent!) They will know what to look for to check for safety and wear, which engine/trans is preferred, etc. This does come at price of course.

If you can find a nearby volunteer, it depends a great deal on their experience and observations. If you can find a willing local expert (like me perhaps) you have hit gold. Even if not, they can look at the coach and see if it is really the same as the 10 year old photos, take many photos inside and out top to bottom, check out all lights and systems, listen to the engine and maybe get a ride with the seller.

Your witness should not be involved in price discussion. The object is to get a factual description of the coach that you can evaluate.

As you say, it is up to you to decide what you are seeing, what it is worth to you. I guess it can't hurt to try!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree. Besides a mechanic for the chassis, a second one might be required for the house.

Someone like SteveVW can do both. I inspected Tom Loughney's Monarch before the sale closed (he was in Thailand) and Nick Cagle and I did Lou's in GA while he was in MI. Both were in excellent shape.

I inspected a third, which was a roach.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input..is there a map on the site somewhere that shows where members live.. All I saw, initially, was the coaches for sale map which doesn't seem to be kept up as I found several 'pins' with 'No data available' notations..

mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Both the Members and "For Sale" maps are on sabbatical.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Mike, the map data have not been kept up to date.
In January, I drove more than a couple hours NE to inspect a coach for a member a couple thousand miles West. Without being an expert whatsoever, my eyes saved the member a trip to East Michigan. He kindly sent Unrequested compensation for my time. Sent him numerous photos more revealing than those by the seller. While I have offered to do the same for others, I can't promise that I always will.
Recently, there have been Barths for sale within a couple hours of me, no one has asked me to look -- perhaps because it is no secret that I am far from being an expert.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Is there a member's list, at least, that shows who have coaches and where they are?

Might be nice for folks traveling who may need assistance to find someone, possibly, close by..

Mike W

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Members Map showed locations, but it's outdated.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike W:
Is there a member's list, at least, that shows who have coaches and where they are?

Might be nice for folks traveling who may need assistance to find someone, possibly, close by..

Mike W

Indeed, I have always posted on motorcycle forums and car collector forums in the section to offer accommodation, transportation, tools etc.

A long time TN Barthmobile member was extremely helpful to me by doing inspection(s) a reasonable distance from his rural home. I was very grateful.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post