Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electric Step
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Nothing goes easy. In trying to remove the step I found that the previous owner welded the stair to the frame. I got past that only to find it could not be straighted out. Now I'm off to have a new one put on. It's not stopping us, we are off to Maine again!

Jim

Posts: 41 | Location: Ashby, Massachusetts | Member Since: 06-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
How did you make out with your electric step? I'm in the market for replacing my non electric step and wanted to know if you found a good quality manufacturer. I could mount an electric step... but, I think I would rather have a manual step instead. That's not to say that I couldn't be "talked into" buying a motorized step.

The step I installed on my coach after getting it has started to "tear away" from the mounting hardware. I guess I could remove it and weld some angle iron to it and then remount it.

The units I've seen at my local RV store seem to be rather cheaply made. It's hard to look at something on the net and know if it's beefy enough.

So, I'm looking for a good quality, commercial grade, non-electric, single step that can handle some weight. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My step is also an after market piece of junk that slants down, is hard to raise and lower, and is slippery when wet, not to mention that it doesn't come out far enough to be really useful. I don't care about power anything, I just want a good solid step that comes out without a ton of jiggling and yanking.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Danny,

It sounds like we're both in the same boat....I hate the step I have - always takes just the right pressure at just the right angle to keep it from binding up going in or out, and you still need to step sideways to use it safely....

Does yours look like this? (sorry, I STILL don't know how to clip & paste pics)

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=24329&SID=18&DID=39&CID=226

If so, there might be an alternative:

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/singlervmanualstepsbykwikee.html

It looks & reads like it might be the answer to the problem. I haven't swapped out yet 'cause I still cringe at the $100.00 difference between the two. On the other hand, maybe YOU could make the plunge and report your findings back here? Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up! The new one is a bit pricey for a manual, but I'll poke around and see if I can do a tad better. You were right on with the old one, that's it exactly, and I think the new one will be perfect for our needs. I will definatly let you know what I find about this unit. Thanks again.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Colaw RV Salvage saved me $100.00 on a set of double Kwikee electric steps. They were in very good condition though used. I painted and installed them and they work just like the old ones that I accidentally wrecked.

Here is their URL: www.colawrvsalvage.com/

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,
We got it replaced , was not cheap but an urgent need.
Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Bill G:
Colaw RV Salvage saved me $100.00 on a set of double Kwikee electric steps. They were in very good condition though used. I painted and installed them and they work just like the old ones that I accidentally wrecked.

Here is their URL: www.colawrvsalvage.com/

Posts: 41 | Location: Ashby, Massachusetts | Member Since: 06-16-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post