Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Motor home crash
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted
FWIW - Tuesday 7/17, a 1990 Monaco 37', carrying a family of 7, lost its brakes coming down the mountain from Hurricane ridge, careened through the city of Port Angeles at speeds estimated up to 70 mph, destroyed 3 cars, & went off a 20' embankment before it stopped. Fifteen people were injured, 2 remain hospitalized, and the driver died yesterday.

The newspaper photo shows the coach body intact, with substantial damage to the lower front, & the left side of the front compartment destroyed. The coach crashed nose-first on the driver's corner, & rolled on its side. The circumstances are a testimonial to the construction of that particular coach.

To view the photo, go to peninsuladailynews.com, type "crash" in the advanced search block, & scroll down to the story "Breaking News:driver of runaway RV dies of crash injuries." The photo is small, but you can zoom it.

Here's the kicker: Connie Gallant, president of RV Consumer Group, "a group that publishes highway safety rating for used RVs," said the family was fortunate to be driving an older RV. "The structural integrity of motor homes today is relatively poor...the walls disintegrate in crashes as slow as 35 mph."

Aren't you glad you drive an older Barth?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Pop quiz for P30 owners. Know what that drum brake thing directly behind the transmission is?
Do you know how it's activated? Do you know if it is working properly on your coach?
If you don't know the answer to all of the above, read the above post and FIND OUT!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
And when you park your coach use you emergency brake. If you don't use is you may loose it.

Also, down shift before you go over the top of the hill.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
And when you park your coach use you emergency brake. If you don't use is you may loose it.

I know of a Barth that rolled downhill into a gas station because the dog shifted the trans out of park. Things were pretty tore up, but no conflagration.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Danny Z:
Pop quiz for P30 owners. Know what that drum brake thing directly behind the transmission is?

Let me answer! That's the emergency/parking brake.

That applies a braking force to the rear wheels. However, if you have a driveshaft or U-joint failure, it won't work. Someone elsewhere in this forum noted that a loose driveshaft can damage brake lines also. In that case, the driver would only have front brakes to deal with.

The story and the follow up stories of that crash at Port Angeles were troubling. Survivors said the driver was pumping the brakes with no effect. Maybe his e-brake was also not functional or maybe he panicked.

My mechanic suggested "brake fade". Looking that up I found this, and every driver of coming down mountains should be aware of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

One news story on a follow up says this: "Police and family members think the brakes on the RV failed after a descent to near sea level from 5,100-foot Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park."

Had your brakes checked lately?
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
If the P32 has discs in the rear, the parking brake is on the rear of the driveshaft. If it has drums in the rear, the parking brakes are part of the drum brakes. The trans mounted parking brake is not very effective as an emergency brake.

If you go down many steep roads, I would recommend yearly brake fluid changes, particularly if you live in a damp environment. If you are a flatlander, every two years. I had name brand fluid go soft on me in under two years. I now use ATE. Motul is good, too. Search for a little more info here, with links.-

Also, when going downhill, keep your speed low. With a gasser, choose a speed. Say, 25 mph. When the speed gets 5 over, at 30, brake down to 20. Then get off the brakes to let them cool until the speed is 5 over again. Repeat the process. A tach is good to have to get maximum engine braking without over revving.

The larger P32s have a power brake system that is powered by the power steering system. Pay close attention to the belts and fluid. Tolerate NO power steering leakage. Have the accumulator checked by a brake expert. Ask him how to do a hydroboost accumulator leakdown test. If he doesn't know right off the bat, find another expert.

If you have a tag axle, Be aware that it has its own master cylinder underneath which must be bled separately, and the line from the main master cylinder to the Hydrovac unit must also be bled. Tag brakes can be easily checked by removing the fuse to the air bag pump and dropping the air bags down to 10 psi. Go for a drive and apply the brakes. The tag brakes will try to lock up and a shudder will be felt. If you do this on a gravel road, they will skid without much shudder.

If you feel your brakes getting soft or weak, even a little bit, pull over and make a sandwich.

If you are going down a new hill, ask first. In this case, free advice is worth a lot. I have gone down hills that I would not do again, and was later advised not to. Heard some scary stories.

That guy in WA shoulda asked Roy about that hill.

This is life or death stuff, folks.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
Someone elsewhere in this forum noted that a loose driveshaft can damage brake lines also. In that case, the driver would only have front brakes to deal with.

Matt
That would be me. The problem I have with prop brakes are more then just that. Let's say the brakes applied with the prop. If one wheel has a little bit of slippage then it will turn backwards and could cause you to spin out. There is very little control with a prop brake.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Let's say the brakes applied with the prop. If one wheel has a little bit of slippage then it will turn backwards and could cause you to spin out. There is very little control with a prop brake.

The good news is that prop shaft brakes on the P32 are probably not strong enough to do that. I have experimented on gravel at low speeds and had little result, good or bad. Or perhaps, my tag axle skewed the results of that test.

Either way, the propshaft brake is more of a parking brake than an emergency brake.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
And.....downshift before you go over the top of the hill...

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Either way, the propshaft brake is more of a parking brake than an emergency brake.
What are you thoughts on this scenario?

Joe Barther goes to the KOA and sets the "prop brake". He is on a little bit of an incline. The next thing he does is adjusts the front levelers. While adjusting the front height one rear wheel start to slip on wet grass. The front levelers could bend and break while the coach is sliding.

My biggest gripe about a prop brake is the fact that it really is only good on a dry surface. Snow, ice and wet grass will cause any vehicle with a prop brake to turn into an accident waiting to happen.

What's the answer? Apply your foot brake while using the levelers. If you're parking next to a curb then cut the wheels to allow your coach to come to rest on the curb if it should start to slide. Use blocking material around the wheels. Properly placed wheel chocks provide great additional protection.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are you thoughts on this scenario?

First thing comes to mind is being sure the trans is in Park.

Our Barth doesn't have levelers, but if we did, I would level the MH fairly close with blocks first to be sure that both sides of the drive axle would have weight on the wheels to prevent rolling.

Picture of Jack P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
Someone elsewhere in this forum noted that a loose driveshaft can damage brake lines also. In that case, the driver would only have front brakes to deal with.

Matt
That would be me. The problem I have with prop brakes are more then just that. Let's say the brakes applied with the prop. If one wheel has a little bit of slippage then it will turn backwards and could cause you to spin out. There is very little control with a prop brake.

Could you please explain the term "prop brake?" I got into the Barth I just bought and was alarmed to find no parking brake. What's up with that?

Jack

Posts: 1 | Location: Virginia | Member Since: 09-09-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The term "prop brake" refers to a parking brake mounted on the drive shaft, not the wheels. It is common at least on the Chevrolet P-30 something chassis.

Does your Barth have air brakes? If so your parking brake is the brakes themselves, but you'll have to get advice from someone more familiar with the operation of air brake systems for specifics.

If that doesn't explain your lack of a parking brake, someone else will have to address your mystery.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Breakaway has a driveshaft parking brake. It's also blessed with the GM Hydroboost system. Lose braking and power steering together if a belt breaks or the P/S pump fails.

There's no emergency braking system.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post