Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Pick up my Class C
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Flying into Denver and then on to Steamboat Springs to pick up my class C. Have already purchased rims and tires, that are out there. Will hopefully drive to Hayden where the mechanic is and have him replace everything that needs replacing, starting with brakes, all belts, any rubber, and all the fluids. I have a list of to do things that I printed from this site.

Will take off when I can cutting over to 90 around the Rapid City area and then coming home to Stillwater. Should be fun.

If anyone is around, will buy coffee.

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn
Class C

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
You have a good plan for your trip. Enjoy and I have my fingers crossed for you. Smiler

Tooling Along

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Wow, that brings back memories of when I bought my Barth. I flew to Indiana to pick it up and made plans at a local tire dealer to replace the tires before I left. The plane ended up being delayed and by the time I got there the small town was closed down. I ended up driving the from Indiana to South Carolina with tires that had cracks so big you could stick your finger in them. The tires never failed but I had a lot of other problem you can read about here if you like.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...001019892#5001019892

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Some years back we were convinced we could revive a Barth in Texas. We drove there, took a good look and - turned away. It was simply overwhelming without several days of intense work and no garage. Later the owner had aome work done on site and K&E drove it home to OK. Would have never attempted to driver it to TN.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
"Would have never attempted to driver it to TN."
In 2005, I flew to Prescott, AZ, picked up Old Blue and drove it to NC without incident
In 2013, I flew to Denver and drove the 28' Breakaway to TN without incident.
In 2013, I flew to Daytona and picked up Wayne's 30' Breakaway and drove it to TN without incident.
Call me lucky, but all three previous owners had done what they needed to to make the trip home easy.
In 2014, I flew to Ft Lauderdale to drive a 87 Cabriolet to Tn. Advertized as 'ready to go anywhere' by a person with a spotless Ebay record. Got in it--the a/c didn't work, the fresh air outlets didn't work, the fan motor didn't work, the heat index was 104 degrees. I made it as far as Orlando and ended up in the ER with heat exhaustion.
Note--all of these transactions were based on trust. The three Barth transactions went well because the Barth owners were trustworthy. The Cabriolet owner was --well you fill in the word.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, should have mentioned, bought a round trip ticket, just in caseSmiler

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
You got the right thought with your round trip ticket. Do not feel pressured, if you don't like it, walk away, there will be more and maybe better ones. I should have mentioned the one in Texas sat for 8 years.

As for stories: we bought a Chrysler Cordova at the pawn shop in Las Vegas about 20 years ago. They wanted too much for a rental car for 3 weeks and Marvin said if I pay that much I can buy a car. So instead rental we bought the car for $500, drove it to Yellowstone in December, all over the West and then all the way to Georgia without incident.

I wish you good luck and maybe sign up for roadassist too with Good Sam or CoachNet (free towing for members). Other than that, visit Hobo Springs in Wyoming. It is near Saratoga.
Happy Motoring Tooling Along

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Day 1, note to self do not fly Frontier again. Arrived in Steamboat about 2:30, had a great visit with David and Jeni. Barth is as advertised. David changed air filter and plugs, old plugs looked excellent. Drove carefully to the repair shop and coach handled well, no steering slop. Lots of lights to fix, windshield wipers etc. plus brakes, steering fluids et al.

Good day one tomorrow will be the day to find out the warts.

Chuck

Barth Class C

posted Hide Post
End of day two: Fixed wipers, lights, replaced wheels, tires. Rubber brakes et al, good, changed fluids. Today putting on new plug wires, distributor, and replacing rear seal and cover on differential. Everything else good enough to get home (I hope). Not going to try and replace house batteries, never know what other problems may show up.

Hopefully will be on my way this evening.

Chuckd
Stillwater MN,
Barth Class C