Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Microwave/convection oven
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
Our new Barth does not have a regular oven like our old Barth. We didn't used the oven a lot, but it was handy when we needed it. The new Barth has a microwave. I was wondering if anyone out there has a combination micro/convection oven? If so, what is the brand? Thanks. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
Hey Dennis, we have a microwave-convection oven in our coach. It's a Sharp. It was chosen by Consumer Reports as a best buy. Ours hangs on the wall to save counter space. Check out the pics on my website...
http://markestep.20fr.com

------------------

Mark & LeAnna
1973 Barth 25 L
402 cid
P30 Chassis

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do have a convection oven-microwave combination which was factory installed with our coach... sorry I can't give you the brand since our coach is in the paint shop. We have never used the convection oven feature. We prefer the Black and Decker toaster oven which we have wall mounted above the cook top just below the hood. It is out of the way and does a great job as a small oven. Fresh oven-baked biscuits taste SO GOOD when we are out camping in the woods!

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Our rig's original micro/convection oven has been replaced by a standard microwave.

I've met few people who use the convection part. They don't seem to excel in that feature.

Over 35 years of RV-ing, we've found the toaster oven more useful than anything. We've had a Black & Decker unit permanently mounted before, as GrizzlyGiant does, but currently we use a counter-top unit (Wal-Mart's cheapest). We store in a locker when it's not in use.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
We have a Sharps Carousel with ESP (whatever that is). Irene is a great cook and is very happy with the Microwave/Convection feature. Does yours have the probe that automatically tells when the roast/etc. is done? We don't miss having a regular oven, ever.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
We have a Sharp Carousel II Microwave /convection. Lately my wife has been reading the little hardbound recipe/instruction book that came with the unit and has whipped together some rather delicious dishes.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We really love the convection. Has anyone tried pork chops or steaks. Cook them faster than regular oven and browning is more even than the broiler. Great for garlic bread. We have even been thinking that if we ever redo our kitchen in the house we would dump the oven and put in one of the Advanium ovens.

We conclude that for RVing convection is the only way to go. However, you obviously need 120 VAC

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited June 23, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We have the convection/microwave, and love it, but will be replacing the cooktop with a stove/oven. We boondock almost exclusively, and don't want to run the rattly Kohler for our late night bruschetta or clams on the half shell. Plus, as Roy alludes, the convection is not all things to all people. They take a concerted effort to use well, but they have their advantages. My biggest grump is that new stoves have only 3 burners. Lots of stuff benefits from the browning or crisping effect of a real oven or broiler. A microwave makes it all soggy.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Speaking of things microwave/convection -- as in Sharp Carousel II -- which stopped working when I inadvertently poked too many numbers and hit "start" -- how do we get this securely mounted appliance out?

Thank you once again.

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Is it completely dead (no numbers on the display)?

If so, it may be just the circuit breaker, or it may just need to have power shut off so it can reset itself. Punching in too many numbers wouldn't kill it - it may have been suicide.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
No numbers...

tried the circuit breaker
tried unplugging and replugging the appliance
tried speaking Polish

thought it might be a fuse

called the repair people near Louisville who said they might have time to look at it if we brought the microwave to them, but we cant figure out how to take it out.

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsy:

tried the circuit breaker
tried unplugging and replugging the appliance
tried speaking Polish

Sounds simple, but make sure you have plugged something else into the outlet to make sure you in fact have power.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Our original Sharpe Carousel II Convec/micro only worked on sensor reheat. Other push pads were dead including the start button so I took it out and gave it to the local small appliance repair guy. He sez its the control board and it doesn't look like he can find a new one for something that old. I would have preferred to fix the old one since it's built-in setup is nice and neat and I don't know if I can find something that fits as well.
As far as removal. Ours was easy to get out. Had to uncover the 4 wood screws in the nice cherrywood bezel just above the microwavess front face. Remove this and you can then get easy access to the wood cross piece that holds it down. It is a heavy bugger to get out of the cabinet though.
Looks like we'll be in the market for a new one.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I usually look for stuff on Craig's list and then negotiate for them to ship unless it is close enough to drive over. Try: sharp carousel II convection craig's list. This brought up about 20 hits.
Hawk-57

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
This is for Ol'Betsy. First we also have a '92 breakaway with the Sharp microwave/convection oven. To bad I did not know about this earlier as we were at Fort Knox.

Anyway there is a fuse behind the control panel.

You will need to drop the front of the unit down. To do this ours had some screws that went thru the cabinet above and into the top of the Sharp. Don't know if this was factory or someone else. Next at the bottom rear you will find a couple of levers that you pull and this will release the unit. At this point the front will drop down. Next there is a screw in the vent on the top front of the unit. Remove this and then you can snap the vent up. next your control panel will lift up and you can move it out of the way. You may have to remove some of the conectors but they are all different so easy to put back. Look closely and you will see a ceramic buss fuse kinda behind a post. this is 15 amp and you can buy a replacement at the hardware store.

I blew ours earlier this year. this sounds a lot harder than it is. If you want to call me with more send an email with you phone number and I will get back to you.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post