Forums    General Discussions    Watch Yer Back!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Watch Yer Back!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Now, I'm not exactly Ahnold Swarzenegger, but for my age (64) and size (5'8", 175 lbs.), I'm pretty robust. I routinely hump my telescopes onto their tripods (one at 75 lbs., another at 55 lbs.), and the little 55 pounder, I can tuck under my arm and open the door.

And for the last couple of weeks, I've been muscling the old Kohler generator and its Honda replacement around StaRV II (both are in the 200 lbs.+ range). Nary a problem.

But this morning, stepping unfettered off the front stoop, a distance of 4", I managed to wrench my back...it seems to be minor, but I thought I'd retell what people have told me - it ain't the stress, it's the angle. I don't know what I did (and it's better as the day progressed), but I'll use my stupidity to reinforce the notion of "watching yer back" by stooping to lift heavy weights, so the strain is absorbed by the legs, and if you do a lot of lifting, exercising and strengthening the lower back muscles (I do) is a good idea...

There, now, isn't this a stimulating post?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would bet that all that work set you up for the injury.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend at work that had a similar situation. He went to a doctor finally and he advised him to work on his stomach muscles. After having his back problems for several years, all it took was about three weeks of stomach exercises to cure his problems. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

Posts: 3 | Location: austin tx | Member Since: 03-25-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
One word... chiropractor. A lot of people are skeptical, but man those spinal adjustments are pure magic. It doesn't necessarily heal you *faster*, but I truly believe it heals you *better*. A doctor will say rest, and take a bunch of pain pills... which only fixes the symptoms (temporarily), not the problem itself (permanently).

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
all it took was about three weeks of stomach exercises to cure his problems. Just my 2 cents worth.

That's worth more than two cents. At least a dollar. I have had back trouble and two operations since the seventies, and I find regular stretching exercises and sit-backs the most effective. Pulling yourself up in a sit up exercises one set of muscles, and letting yourself down slowly in a sit back does another set. I make my sit back so slow that I tremble just before I reach full recline. Bent legs.

When my back is rotten, I lie with my knees up or on a pillow. Lying on the floor with my shins on a dining chair can relieve a lot of pain, too. If you sleep on your side, try a pillow between your knees.

The best thing I ever did for my back was to buy a zero gravity chair from Relax the Back store. When I worked, I came home, hit the chair, and could feel the pain leave me in waves. Almost like Percodan kicking in. Now, when I feel a little back fatigue, I hit the chair and things get better. If the back gets mean, I hit the chair with two aspirins and an ice pack for 20 minutes. This allows me to keep on the internet, as my monitor is on a swinging arm attached to the chair and the keyboard sits in my lap. I can surf and watch TV and read all at the same time.

The chairs are expensive, but the relief is worth every penny. They are much more durable than any other recliner I have owned or looked at. I used to have a Lazy Boy specially made for me every few years, due to my height, overly long torso, and the need for customized lumbar support. They were cheaper, but even with assiduous maintenance and lubrication, did not last very long.

Relax the back also sells an inflatable lumbar pillow that saved my working career. Without it, I could not have sat at a desk or computer for any amount of time. I hung it from a carefully selected chair with a Velcro strap. I also use it for driving my Barth, although it is not as strong a requirement. I cannot sit in my bucket chair in the Barth without it at all, and cannot use my folding recliner without it, either. My folding camp chairs are the type sold by boat stores. They have separate pieces of acrylan canvas for back and seat with strong frames. They allow good sitting posture and I can sit all day in mine, say at a music festival or races.

Where you sit and how you sit is super important.

I often wear a wide weight lifters belt when I am in danger of straining the back or just need a little support. Like washing dishes or working at a workbench. When I sit at a table or a workbench, I use a little box to support one foot. My main workbench has a foot rail like a bar. I often try to have one foot higher when I stand for any period of time, like on a box or stool or something.

In my case, I had a chiropractor who was practically a miracle worker, but he couldn't help my back. My advice on chiropractors is to look for bill padding extra stuff and avoid the ones who do that. Stick with one who manipulates. I also don't trust the ones who want you to come in on a regular schedule, but that is an unfounded personal feeling, so I won't take a real strong position there.

I hope this advice is overkill and you don't need all of it, but some may help you or others.

And for you young, strong guys, avoid feats of great strength. I wish I had. I have a bad back and a bad right shoulder from that stuff. If I could relive my life, the two most important things I would do would be to protect my back and buy a Barth earlier. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
all it took was about three weeks of stomach exercises to cure his problems. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

I had a pretty serious back injury in the Navy, and being at sea kept it gong. But then one of the Navy Docs finally found the key - with stomach exercises. Hasn't bothered me since.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Heck!! When you get to be my age you either call Medicare or Workman's Comp........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
-When i LOOK FO A CH[ROPRACTOR I have laarmrd to get on the Internti and look up rhe ones that use the Gonsread methods, look up Gonstead1

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post