Waste tank cleaning method
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
More on thread drift
Chlorine:
I use it to purify my potable water supply as its is placed into my FW tank, using the guidelines set forth buy my ‘Instapure’ filter instructions. Fortunately I don’t live in an urban area that treats its water for public consumption with chlorine, railroad tank cars full of chlorine, the kind that makes neighborhoods of people run for their lives when there is an accident causing release of this product.

White Appliances:
From what I understand about the ‘appliance; issue, it seems that it is entirely possible that if a women is given access to the correct ‘appliance’ (any color) and supportive owners and sponsors, that she can possible end up in the front of the pack, and show that she is capable of just about anything.
From what I have gleaned about this ‘F1’ guy, there are many issues here, which ends up making him a non-issue.
1, Most importantly, he doesn’t own a Barth, nor has he probably ever been in one.
2, He is not a citizen of our USA.
So with all that, consider what he says as BS and the tyrants of someone one suffering from major jealousy and nothing more. Although he seems to be well of financially, I don’t want him for a friend, because it seems that most of his friends have died in fiery crashes.

Calgon:
I use the Calgon water softener in my holding tanks to reduce 'scum' and keep the contents in suspension, which allows 'the stuff' to all leave when dumped. No further cleaning is needed, and that is a good thing.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I believe I've been edited, and most probably correctly, by Dave. I sometimes drink a bit too much during a holiday weekend and let my fingers do the talking. My comments were simply to support bill h and to draw attention to those who resort to infantile lambasting when one has the unmitigated gall to question what they put forth. I, for one, will continue to follow Barth, according to bill, and disregard the rantings of intollerent know-it-alls. Hope you all had a great 4th have a great rest of the summer!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In the factory book that came with my Barth, there is a section written by Barth(therefore it must be true). It says to sanitize a potable water system, either new, not used for a period of time, or contaminated, prepare a solution of 1/4 cup of household bleach to 1 gallon of water. When the tank is empty, pour one gallon of the solution in for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. For a 45 gallon tank, you would use 3 gallons of the solution.
Complete filling of the tank with fresh water. Operate all faucets to release trapped air. Pressurize the system with pump, then turn off the pump and let the tank stand for 3 hours. Drain and flush with fresh potable water. To remove excess chlorine taste or odor, prepare a solution of 1 quart of vinegar to 5 gallons of water and pour into the fresh water tank. Allow solution to aditate in tank by vehicle motion, several days if possible. Drain tank and flush with fresh potable water.
Anyway, that's what Barth used to say. I like the idea of water softener and household detergent in the waste tanks, but agree with Bill on avoiding the use of chlorine there.
I also have a neat Barth drawing of the winterizing procedure and an 8 step procedure to use with air pressure. If anyone wants a copy of these Barth documents, let me know and I'll scan them into my computer and email them to you.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
None of my comments against leaving bleach in a holding tank are directed at using bleach to purify the fresh water system. I have done it since the Coolidge administration

Presently, we dump in a bottle cheap vodka every so often, but when I kept a fiver permanently in a park on the Colorado river, the combination of high temperature and a local water supply of doubtful provenance, forced drastic measures. I made a device for introducing massive amounts of bleach in the pipes. We had some real lab cultures growing in our pipes there. My good friend, the RV tech there, told even scarier stories.

Airliners use a similar device, and the frequency of usage is adjusted, depending on where the plane has been tanking up. Bring your own water and pillows on airplanes.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Since I live in the exclusive community of Eden Prairie, Minnesota there is no reason to disinfect our black water. Everything that goes into the system is "pure and wonderful".

I disinfect my potable tanks by just before hooking my white water hose up to the spigot I pour about 2 cups of bleach into the hose itself then hook it to the spigot and turn the water on. This makes sure that all plumbing has for some period of time come in contact with the chlorine. I always let it sit there for a while all morning for example then I dump and refill at least two times. Even after all this we do not regularly drink our water from that source we carry massive quantities of bottled for drinking and coffee etc.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
You DRINK water?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill! I had no idea! The Coolidge era?
Jim (the FDR era)

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
humbojb,

Please e-mail me a copy of the Barth recommendations for sanitizing and winterizing the water systems. My e-mail address is bubbabcr@hotmail.com

Thank you for this information.

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone TESTED the water out of the faucet? I have not researched this but I would guess one can buy a test kit. I just wondered what someone learned when they actually tested their own RV water. Baby sharks, etc??????

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Testing would depend, at least in part, on where you get the water. We use a Brita filter on the house water and then run it through a Pur pitcher. According to my son, who did quite a bit of research on this(he drank a lot of Third World water), it is the best way. I will send a copy of his information to those interested who can open an Excel document. This is done for all our drinking water, which we carry in jugs. Water we boil in the Barth gets run through a Pur faucet filter.

On the rare occasion when we are way far out and have to tank up from a mountain stream, I use halazone or iodine in the tank, but we will not cook or drink it. Only washing and showers. When we return the tank gets the bleach.

BTW, the bleach method is detailed on many RV and marine sites. Just be sure to buy bleach that is free of other stuff. Some of it can give your plumbing a very persistant soapy taste.

posted Hide Post
humbojb,

I would appreciate a copy of the Barth info on sanitization and winterization.

Thanks... Tim....tfdevine@verizon.net

Posts: 24 | Location: Sagle ID USA | Member Since: 06-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post