Tools
Reply To This Topic

Scam Alert
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Here's a new one that I hadn't heard of yet. Just good to file this in your memory for the next time you're selling a large ticket item.

Scam alert: Beware of a young girl who responds to your ad to buy her first car. She will schedule a time to meet at a parking lot somewhere near your home. She will also ask that you remove your ad from craigslist. She claims that she and her mother must go to the bank before meeting you and she wants to ensure you bring a clear title. Once you get there, she arrives in a car with two middle eastern men. They act as if your car has problems which you aren't aware of and then proceed to start to "work" on your car. They have a two liter bottle of water and put some in the antifreeze container etc., making you think your car needs work. Then the low, low, ball comes. I told them I wouldn't sell my car at full price. My husband, a body and mechanic guy, just happened to ride with me and it's a good thing because these guys (and young girl) are good.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I must be even more dense than usual, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Frowner

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Simply put, intimidation. While many will tell them to take a hike, some will cave in out of fear and regret it later.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a computer business. I manufactured 30 pin simms (who remembers?) that I often offered for sale on ebay. I had a guy who claimed to have a business in MN contacted me through ebay and wanted to buy about $4000 worth of ram. He said he would be traveling through IL on I-90 and wanted to meet in Rockford for the transaction. We agreed on a spot to meet but what he didn't know was there was a Cherry Valley policeman waiting. Imagine his surprise when a squadcar rolled up. Just as I suspected, not only did he not have a money order as we discussed but no cash either. He said he was going to pay by check yet didn't have his checkbook with him. I wonder how different that situation would have ended had officer friendly not been there?

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
I manufactured 30 pin simms (who remembers?)

Single Inline Memory Modules? Never heard of them, or the outrageous prices they commanded...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post