Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need Insurance Advice
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bill Stevson
posted
I would appreciate some advice/suggestions on choosing an insurance carrier for my 1973 25' Barth. I just got a solicitation from Good Sam's and have been looking at the FMCA web site. My other vehicles are covered by State Farm and the AARP Motoring Plan. I have been thinking about staying with State Farm for the Barth but one of the other's that specialize in motorhome towing/road service.

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RV Alliance (www.rvaa.com) is a great company for RV insurance, one of the few that will cover you for declared value rather than a Blue Book figure. My GMC was stolen and damaged extensively; they paid generously and quickly without dispute.

I have little respect for State Farm; their accounting records must be kept by monks in a dark cave.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

[This message has been edited by Grizzlygiant (edited February 07, 2004).]

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Check out Progressive which is connected to
RV Alliance somehow, can't remember!! One is the parent, one the underwriter??
www.progressive.com

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I've been VERY happy with progressive.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Ditto Progressive......

Obviously, the REAL test of a good underwriter comes at claim time - something I have not experienced with Progessive yet, But I selected them for the Barth because:

1. Rates were very competitive, within a few bucks of Brand X, and not a deciding factor.

2. Internet application & acceptance: Fill-out the online form and wait for a quote & further instructions. Further, I liked being able to fine-tune my coverage in great detail, electing more of "A", less of "B" and none of "C", etc. Now I don't pay for redundant coverage that I already have with my road service contract.

Because my eyes always glaze over at all the buzz words and legal jumbo involved in insurance policies, I especially liked the click-to links that explained every facet of coverage in plain English so I knew exactly what I was purchasing and for what price.......

3. A few days after reviewing my policy, I called their #800 number with some questions. It was answered on the first ring by a REAL person with a name, who displayed great patience in explaining things to me to my satisfaction.

I was impressed enough to switch my other vehicles over to Progressive. Now we'll see what happens the NEXT time a telephone pole jumps out in front of my bride's car and attacks her front fender........Ice & sleet are forecast...Addendum to this posting could come at any minute........

Lee
'78/24'/P30/454

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We'll definately give Progressive a try. After going my entire life with out anything but a parking ticket, a little over 4 years ago Deb and I both had accidents (minor but considered at fault) and I got caught going 80 on I-94 through Wisconsin. Man our insurance payment is similar to our house payment.

Finally this is the first year we are free of stuff. So the next time it comes due we are going to call them all....

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post