Forums    Barth Journeys    Storm Shelter??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Storm Shelter??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
I can't call this a journey, but today linda and I, upon getting the evacuation order, loaded the Barth and moved to high ground. We first had to take on propane (18gal. $40 worth) and then we took off no destination in mind. We picked a spot behind a new Publix where we reasoned we could park close to a wall and without electric wires or trees around. We spent a few hours in airconditioned comfort viewing the TV and hoping for the best. When we found out the landfall for Charlie was going to be near FT Myers we crept back to our home on Apollo Beach, and watched the storms progress. I don't know if this was a wise choice or not. Any comments?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Well I think you did what you had to do. We're thankful you guys are well. It is looking like there will be billions in damage.

When they had the fires out in California last year I heard from a Barth owner who was happy to have someplace so nice to stay in while his neighborhood was evacuated.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
The second thoughts I'm having stem from the warnings on mobile homes. I wonder if I was overconfident about the Barth's construction. I know the riveted construction of the Barth csnnot be compared to the flimsey mobile home construction, but what about the windows? We definitly lucked out as Apollo Beach was designated "ground zero" at one point. The thoughts of being self contained colred our descision to go with the Barth.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Don, let's face it that was a series 4 hurricane. If you were caught in the middle of it in the Barth you'd be standing face to face with your creator by now. Your blessing today has nothing to do with the coach or anything you did but the fact that the storm went north. Like Billy Graham says, "some things are just a mystery".

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Don, I think you are right in suspecting theat the windows are the weak link. Flying debris would be a major concern.

I saw pictures of Andy's Regency that went off the road and rolled in a hilly area. It stayed together really well. It would be interesting to survey the hardest hit area and see how different RV and house construction survived. Or Andrew.

When I worked on Fiji, I was told that only concrete block structures with steel-reinforced and grouted cels and zig zag on each course can be counted on to survive a really big hurricane. And sometimes, they lose their roof.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
saw a 40 fts.R.V. turned over on it side on T.V.,and semi over on their side! It would a real wild run if you are in one that got turned on it side!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
And did you see the 20 foot Uhaul truck that was unceremoniously depositted into the middle of the Punta Gorda liquor store? Very strange things happen in these storms, and I don't think I want to be in my Barth if I'm at ground zero.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post