Reply To This Topic

1978 Barth 28' - Maysville GA
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:

It is smart to flush out the system with new fluid every few years. Additionally, check the pistons for free movement and seals for leaks.

I change fluid yearly. Flatlanders could probably do it every two years. I also clean and lube the slider pins on the calipers yearly.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Although Rusty is correct that there is a bladder that "attempts" to seal the system, air still finds its way into contact with the fluid either through small leaks or permeating the rubber itself. Stainless steel brake lines will help stop some of the air permeation and will keep the hose from expanding under pressure. Has anyone done a SS application on a Barth that has Hydro brakes?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
Stainless steel brake lines will help stop some of the air permeation and will keep the hose from expanding under pressure.

I think that would depend on the liner, rather than whether the reinforcement braid was SS or textile. I should probably research the permeability of the various liners used in different hoses.

My hoses all got wrapped in aluminum tape when I replaced them. I cut the tape into 1 inch width (from 2") and wrapped them as installed. This may sound anal, but being in an area of constant high humidity, and fog almost nightly, moisture in the brake fluid becomes an issue. Add to that, that we are surrounded by mountains, and it becomes even more of a consideration.

I have an electronic brake fluid moisture checker that I use for all our vehicles, and I believe it has bought us some safety, as well as fended off some corrosion issues.

Fortunately, I do not drive in rain. Well, almost.

Speaking of moisture, I buy only brake fluid in steel cans. I have tested a sampling of fluid in plastic containers, and some had already started to absorb moisture. Instructions say to discard partial cans, on the premise that the air inside contributes moisture to the fluid. That is part of the story, but the walls of the bottles let in moisture, and they sell more fluid that way.

When I have a partial can, I dump in glass marbles until the level is overflowing and then cap it. No air. Dry nitrogen of CO2 is sold in a can for similar purposes, but I need mine for the air guns and tire inflator.

My fave fluid is ATE blue and gold. Using alternate colors assures me of complete changeover without wasting any. Metal cans.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Looks like this coach has been sold.
quote:
Bill,
The Barth in Maysville has been sold,
The proud new owner's Father is also a Barth owner, and was familiar with your website.
Thanks again for the post, I am sure that's what sold the vehicle,
Benny Bohanan

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
quote:
Bill,
The Barth in Maysville has been sold,
The proud new owner's Father is also a Barth owner, and was familiar with your website.
Thanks again for the post, I am sure that's what sold the vehicle,
Benny Bohanan
Wonder if the proud new owner is Lee's son.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep....7 years getting mine just like I wanted, and it now appears I'll be starting over as the unpaid volunteer assistant for my son Frowner Smiler

Let the adventures begin..........again Tooling Along

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Wonder if the proud new owner is Lee's son.
I asked that very same question. Benny replied back.
quote:
Yep, that's it,
he's sleepin in it in my yard right now!
BBo
I hope he takes his time coming back and pulls over right away if there's a problem. Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope he takes his time coming back and pulls over right away if there's a problem

As I understand it, the Barth will stay in GA for a couple months while the new owner is in Europe.
Sometime in early October, we'll drive down w/ toolbox & spares for my inspection & the trip back.
.....Might even take the Silver Bullet down there and have us a convoy comin' home Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: Well, it was about time that my son & I headed for GA to retrieve the Barth that he just had-to-have. It's been sitting in storage for about 5-6 weeks, NOT the way to enjoy his new project.

Launched out of MD Thursday night in his SUV and drove most of the 600 miles in the rain overnight, arriving in Mayville GA midmorning Friday. It was stored at a shop that specializes in Model A Ford restorations, and the owner couldn't have been more accomodating, opening his shop & facilities for our every need. We spent about 5 hours going through the chassis & drivetrain, leaving any coach issues for later at home. All systems checked out just fine....the brake issue mentioned earlier turned out to be a frozen brake pedal linkage....a little PB Blaster & WD40 and the 4 wheel disc system was good-to-go (including new brake flex lines at the wheels).

A pleasant surprize was finding an under-bed drawer full of spare hoses, belts, ignition parts, including a new spare starter & alternator...enough stuff to handle most anything this side of doing a short-block on the road shoulder Thumbs Up On the flip side, we also found 10 unopened bottles of power steering fluid....Since the hydroboost brakes depend on the pwr steering pump, we thought we might have a surprize on our hands, but it didn't leak a drop on the trip, so we chalked it up to a PO just finding a super deal on fluid sometime in the past...nonetheless, a little unnerving starting out......

We aired up the 5 year old but uncracked 10ply Double Coin tires, they all held, and we were off for the trip home, getting about 150mi in Friday, 300mi Saturday and home by noon Sunday. Working our way gradually from 50mph, 55, 60, then 65, the engine/tranny/drivetrain ran strong without a hitch, and the brakes performed flawlessly. (IMO: There is a ride difference between Double Coins and the Michellin XPS tires on my Barth Roll Eyes)

Now that the Phase-1 (getting home) challenge is complete, the Phase-2 challenges are going to be time consuming. It appears that the Previous Owner roster included a plumber and an electrician. Each one spent a lot of time & effort "improving" the coach systems. Consequently, there's water lines and valving in over-abundance and added wires & switching all over the place. Confused And Lenny is no longer the only one with a surplus of red wires going "somewhere".

Beautiful weather, great scenery, a couple days with my son, driving a Barth while listening to Johnny Cash.....Yep, life is GOOD!

PS: If ya run across a wheel cover on I-70 that fits the left rear of a '78 Barth, give us a holler Big Grin

PSS: While prepping the Barth, wearing sandals, this dumb-ole Yankee managed to unknowingly step on one of them fire ant hills.......Yeee-gods!.....Lesson learned confusion

WE MADE IT!!!

posted Hide Post
Well Lee, you Paid-It-Forward by being such a great host at the DC Gathering. No one deserves a painless trip any more than you.

You must have been mean to the ant Gods though Big Grin

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

A pleasant surprize was finding an under-bed drawer full of spare hoses, belts, ignition parts, including a new spare starter & alternator...enough stuff to handle most anything this side of doing a short-block on the road shoulder Thumbs Up

Now I don't feel so bad about my stash.

quote:

We aired up the 5 year old but uncracked 10ply Double Coin tires,

Ant Gods to the contrary notwithstanding, the Tire Gods gave you a pass. You had three strikes against you.

1. Double Coin

2. Long storage period.

3. Age.

But, congrats on a good purchase and a successful trip and the conversion of a family member to the Barth cult.

Since hoses came up, be sure to take a good look at the one connecting the water pump to the intake manifold. It is often neglected and is no fun to replace on a hot engine at the side of the road. At the mimimum, use a Gates premium hose. My fave is a marine hose from West Marine with steel strand reinforcing. I think I posted the number here way back when. It is most easily installed with either the water pump or intake manifold off.

This leads into water pumps.............The 454 likes a high flow water pump, anyway, but some of this depends on the load, steepness of grade and OAT.

Or, just wait until it's broke, then fix it. Smiler

Trouble is, my broke seemed to occur on Sunday night when I had to get back to work Monday morning, on a hilly, curvy road with no shoulder, and all the auto parts stores were closed, we were out of cell phone range and the same old pickup with three Deliverance extras had driven by three times already.

Well, that's colored up a little, but you get the point. Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
we were out of cell phone range and the same old pickup with three Deliverance extras had driven by three times already

I'll take the fire ants, thank you!

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
we were out of cell phone range and the same old pickup with three Deliverance extras had driven by three times already

I'll take the fire ants, thank you!

Ta tell ya the truth, after my ant hill experience Friday, I'd have to give that choice some serious consideration....Never before considered myself part of an insect's food chain Frowner