Reply To This Topic

Restored 1965 Barth trailer
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm no body shop expert, maybe it was easier to paint than have the aluminum exterior stripped and shined?

Painted or anodized aluminum is far easier to care for than polished aluminum. The labor of love and time required to keep a Barth looking like Lee's is beyond belief. Painting aluminum also allows one to "cover up" past sins like deep scratches or dents, whereas polishing leaves no place to hide.

So an advantage to unpainted rigs is that all the bodywork nasties are visible.

It's easy for people to espouse that Barths should be polished, but few who own them here have invested the real effort required to actually pull it off. Remember to, every Barth owner has polishable aluminum under there should they really feel the need! My hat is off to those few brave souls that have maintained a polished shell of any brand cheers

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Corey, I agree with you completely. As an owner of a very large piece of aluminum, it is hard just ot keep it clean let alone polished. I guess I could live with yellow if it was accented with polished aluminum trim or black or darker yellow. BUT - on my monitor it looks like the trim is robin's egg blue. If that's the case, someone needs their arse whupped. YUK.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
There are paint jobs and PAINt jobs too. Cannot tell if this one is a professional look or a home roller and brush.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Todd
posted Hide Post
I saw this ad a couple of days ago on Craigslist. It's down in TN. I love personalizing, but I agree; That's downright Gaudy. Yes! It's alumnum underneath, but it's a bit__ to strip. On the other hand that Carribean cottage above is kinda cute.

I search every day for more Barth trailers. They say in the ad fully restored; you never know what's underneath until you strip it clean. I had mine stripped with the exception of the wall in the closet & part of he bathroom. I take off the closet rod & mount & found an ant colony. Needless to say they're e x t e r m i n a t e d.
I just love the word RESTORED. One of the most misused words in the dictionary.

You can mess with the rest, but don't mess with the best; Barth - Construction wise.
Have a great day.
Todd

Posts: 68 | Location: Bay Shore,New York | Member Since: 03-22-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post