Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1990 Barth Regal 28B ~~ Ebay
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-B...rksid=p2054897.l4275

Do not miss out on this aluminium Barth. Barths do not come along often and this one is ready to drive and enjoy.

This classic Barth took our family on 7500 mile road trip 2 summer’s ago and is turn-key ready to do it all over again. This deluxe rig cost over $90,000 in 1990. Barth was a top end road coach builder and made their “All-Aluminum” high end rigs in Milford, Indiana. Barths are uniquely constructed using lightweight and durable All-aluminum frame and sheet-work. Riveted together with 2120 Rivets and mounted on Heavy Welded Steel Chassis. The construction technique “Makes Barth ride smoother, quieter and more precise than any other coach”. This Barth is nearly as easy to drive as a Chevy Suburban with great visibility and road handling skills. Barth’s are rare and this rig is in good shape and makes everyone look twice and want a tour.

Chevy 454 Automatic

4 single beds
1 King bed (2 living room sofas fold together to make nice king bed)

Wood Floor.

2 deluxe Captain’s chairs

4 burner gas stove-top
Large updated 2 way Dometic refrigerator
2 kitchen sinks
New water heater
Updated water system

LPG Leak detector with safety valve
New Gas Valve

Full bathroom with tub & shower/toilet/sink and closet.

Onan Emerald 3 Genset
50 amp shore line
2 new Coach Batteries
1 new Chasses battery
TV/DVD
AC
Furnace
Flat floor interior passageway.
Full Gauges
Nice cabinets
Front windshield draperies
Full interior lighting
Exterior lighting
Full awnings
Rack for Spacecases on top
10 MPG

Original Barth schematics and planes

28 ft long, 9 ft wide 10.5 ft tall

$3000 service just completed

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
They must be including mirrors (or open door ;^)

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently made the 4 hour trip from Ogden Utah to ketchum Idaho to purchase this Barth. Upon arrival I was shocked that this was the same Barth as in the description or pictures. I hate to impact someone's chances for a sale but I believe an accurate description is common curtesy, anyone interested should be aware of some details about this Barth before you make the journey. There is no mention of the aftermarket ladder that was installed incorrectly (misaligned and no sealant) and the original holes never resealed. There is at least 20 missing rivets throughout, above the grill is a whole panel lifting out from so many missing rivets. Drivers and passengers side windows had been caulked in with excess silicone everywhere. The flooring has several gaps and is missing base trim, the fridge is also missing trim and throught the whole interior is the same. The roof is soft and hasn't been sealed in years. Mismatched steer tires that show signs of alignment issues. The clear coat is in poor shape with some corrosion on the bay doors. Duct tape holding drawers closed under the bunks, signs of a water leak in the rear window. There was a loud squeal coming from the belts or the alternator. I did take a quick test drive and it drove out nice. The asking price leads one to think that this is a well maintained regal but this one is a project. Had there been a better description I could have saved my self a 8 hour drive. Just looking out for all the future Barth owners.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ogden ut | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Your trip was not a wasted 8 hours. If you had bought it sight unseen(except for the photos), you would have been disappointed and probably would have paid more for it than you would have otherwise. There have been a few times that I would have saved myself a ton of money if I had done what you have done.
Having said that, most of the items you mentioned do not seem to be deal breakers. I would be concerned about the possible water leaks since that can lead to mold, etc. And you may have mistaken the roofs "softness" for just the normal flexing of the aluminum in between structural supports. However, if there are signs of water leakage on the headliner, that can indicated some rotten wood since Barth used a type of Luan for the backing of the headliner. To me, the more important things are suspension, engine, brakes fuel system. If those things have been kept up to date, you might have a nice Barth after you fix the things you've noted. You did say that it "drove out nice". Remember, these are 24 year old motor homes. They will not be without problems.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing all that, Jarskull.
I infer you mean you were shocked at how much it was NOT like the description.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
I think that Jarskull's trip and comments are helpful to everyone looking to own a Barth. I also think that members weighing in on the perceived 'seriousness' of the flaws are helpful too. I hope that anyone considering a purchase of one these vintage RV's comes to join this community and read up on potential issues facing our vehicles. Information is power and we readily share it!

Personally, and to do it over again, I would have preferred to buy my Barth from a Barthmobile member who had invested well-spent energy into the proper maintenance, care, and improvement of the vehicle. Short of this, I would buy a 'time capsule' needing TLC, rather than a Barth that had been disfigured by 'less-than-skilled' improvement. Nearly all of these need some help and from what I've seen, the best ones are owned by members of this community!

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
No that was my mistake I feel terrible I was trying to enlarge the pictures on my phone and with out even a conformation to confirm the buy it now, the site said I bought it Confused I sent the seller a message to tell him what happened and apologized, I then called Ebay, they told me to ask the seller to withdraw my buy it now and he can resist it for free, oblivious he is frustrated as any one would be but it was all a glitch or some kind of accident.

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Ended: Jul 31, 2014 , 2:41PM
Current bid: US $9,100.00
[ 6 bids ]

see also: http://git.me/used/rv/us/84432...-Aluminium-Motorhome

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Believe this is back on Craigslist-Columbus. After reading this post, I'll pass.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
This is the one I bought. It resurfaces over and over again on ebay and craigslist.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Did Jarskull describe it accurately? It sounded like most of the issues were cosmetic.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Well, you've been talking to me about that gap at the front panel in another thread. I don't think it's the end of the world. I wouldn't say the panel is lifting out.

The rivets, like you said in this thread, aren't a big deal to replace (kind of fun, actually).

I did replace the front tires right away, and when I got it home had the front end check out and aligned, with a few new parts. The rear tires were abt 10 yrs old, but looked good. I replaced them this summer just to be safe.

I dunno. Now that I'm a little more Barth-savvy I probably would have dickered down on it, but when I look closely at most of the 80's units that show up on Barthmobile for sale or for project posts, the issues this one has (or had) are pretty common and rarely thought of as disastrous. Rusty compartments, some trim missing here and there, an after market ladder that didn't fit the original bracket spacing, etc.

I'm trying to be proactive and get things done before they are a problem, so I've had deferred maintenance work done (some front end stuff, the usual heat-damaged plug wires, plugs, distributor, etc, but nothing really major mechanically speaking. On that front, it hasn't let us down yet.

Generator would run for about an hour down the road then stall, so I had the carburetor replaced.

I voluntarily replaced the front springs with heavier units rather than replacing the cracked air bags. I did this because the airbags that failed were not that old. I'd rather replace rubber with steel. I haven't driven another Barth, so I don't know if that has been an improvement or not. Sure rides/steers better than it did with original springs and flat airbags, lol.

The biggest expense and disappointment was with the water system. The previous owner disclosed to me that he had put it in winter storage without draining the system, which of course wreaked havoc. He had a bill for a good amount of plumbing work, including a new water heater. So therefore I thought that was the system that was most sound. However, even with a regulator, we were getting new leaks from split pipes every time we hooked up. Turns out most of the piping that had been replaced and a lot that had been replaced some time in the past was sub-standard and not holding up, so I went ahead and had the whole system re-plumbed for about $2K.

So I dunno. It's our first motorhome, and I still like it. Any shop that I've taken it to has been impressed with the condition and build. My opinion is that Jarskull described things accurately, but made minor things sound major. The seller didn't misrepresent anything as far as I'm concerned.

There was another really negative review of an 80's unit that was for sale recently, and I thought that the reviewer was too harsh considering these vehicles are pushing 30 years or more.

When someone makes one or two posts on Barthmobile, and it's only to bash someone's rv for sale, I question motive.

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but at least it's a happy delusion.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was another really negative review of an 80's unit that was for sale recently, and I thought that the reviewer was a bit harsh considering these vehicles are pushing 30 years or more.

IMOH, negative critiques of condition are fair, because regardless of age, a coach can be maintained and repaired; neglect isn't grounds for leniency.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I've learned it's more in the eye of the beholder. Example Jim & I go look at an old volvo that has no rust, but some pretty significant dents in the body. We walk away a little miffed because the pics didn't showbthe dents were beyond our expertise. Our son in law on the other hand looks at the same car & doesn't really give the dents much thought because he can fix the body work himself. It's all in what you know. That's why I don't like to look at vehicles for other people. My issue may not be an issue for them.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Just be true to the condition when listing. If the fridge is two years old, it is not a "new fridge". If tires are five years old, then don't post, "newer tires". "Recently serviced", does not mean serviced six months ago when you parked it.
And thanks to the folks on this forum that have taken the time to share their opinions good and bad after an "on site Barth critique."

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post