Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    shoulds barthmobile sponser this??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

shoulds barthmobile sponser this??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
the future????

http://www.teamsteamusa.com/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, maybe in the 70s, there was an attempt by a company, maybe in AZ or NM, to bring back steam powered cars. The technology was there but the fossil fuel industry killed it. Maybe someone remembers this better than I do. At any rate, the attempt failed.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Actually, steam is alive and well. All coal fired and nuclear power plants run steam generators (about 80% of all power generated in this country) almost all large ships use boilers, too.

Economies of scale and stubborn auto companies are the worst enemies. (The auto companies have always embraced the newest and best..NOT) They cried and moaned every time they were "forced" to improve something. Like seat belts, emission controls, air bags, ABS brakes, etc. Yet somehow after the doomsday we have cars that last way longer, don't need tuneups, burn cleaner, and are way safer.

Not to ever defend them, but the petroleum companies have more to lose from the electric cars that are essentially remotely coal powered vehicles. The steamers still need fuel onboard, which means some liquid (hydrocarbon) is carried in tanks and burned. (same old thing, different way to burn)

There are alternative biofuels, but steam car demand would overwhelm existing supply streams and drive prices back to petroleum levels. Look at subsidized ethanol and corn/food prices, what a disaster, but at least the farmers are getting a bit more...

I'm not seeing much future in steam cars.

Then again, if it was hot air we needed... ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
I'll second that and maybe volunteer my 28', that i drove to TN GTG for conversion!! head bang
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
barthmobile sponser this?? Click

We can sponsor only if one of our members gets to drive. I nominate Mary Ray because she may be our lightest member with lots of driving experience. ROTFLMAO

Mary Ray... would you accept??? hide

Fall River, WI
Year:: 1985, 1985
Model:: 22-FP1 28-FP3
Length:: 22' 28'
Engine:: 454 Chevy 7.4 w/3 speed auto both coaches
Data Tag Number:: 8506 3225 22FP1 / 8504 3204 28FP3

For Wi and UW/Bucky fans please look at marciasparks.com

Posts: 96 | Location: Fall River, WI | Member Since: 10-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
...almost all large ships use boilers, too.

Not so much anymore. In the USN, only the carriers and subs are steam turbine, and those are nukes. The remainder are either gas turbine, diesel, or obsolete.

Foreign navies still have many fossil-fueled steam-powered ships, however. Contemporary civilian ships are diesel-powered, even the largest container ships and cruise ships.

A lot of people don't know that in WWII, the German pocket battleships Graf Spee, Lutzow (nee Deutchland), and Admiral Scheer were diesels. At least one of the German heavy cruisers wS hybrid (can't recall which one) was a hybrid, with both diesels for transit and steam turbines for high speed.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post