Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    An "Investment"? - I think so....
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

An "Investment"? - I think so....
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Over the past 6 years of Barth ownership, I haven't paid much attention to costs. Usually, I just take the receipts and toss them in a shoebox. (sometimes I'll also wince a little before I toss them in Eeker

Recently, with time on my hands, I actually reviewed the shoebox and did a little bean counting to get an idea of what all this fun
was costing me.....I included:

1. fuel & oil
2. insurance & ERS
3. Expendables (tires/belts/hoses/filters, etc)
4. off-season storage
5. outside vendor repairs & maint.
6. campground & activity fees, incl. tolls
7. chassis upgrades - considered have-to-have
8. tags & reg. fees

Not included:

1. Depreciation - at 31 years, it's a flat line.
2. Lost ROI if initial purchase funds were elsewhere (based on past year, not an issue Frowner
3. coach upgrades - considered nice-to-have
4. personal labor - gotta remember, it's a hobby!
5. food & goodies - gotta eat anyway

Bottom Line, after six years:

1. I spent 88.7 cents for every mile driven.
2. On a per-day-used basis it came to $116.44 for transportation, lodging & entertainment for two adults & sometimes two grandkids.......

Conclusions: Certainly more expensive than a tent or trailerable RV, but certinly less expensive than an SUV, motels & restaurants.

Add to that the ambiance, fun, memories & comfort of tooling around in a Class-A and I'd have to consider my Barth a real "investment" after all toast

Anybody else ever tried to figure the "true-cost" of their Barth? (I mean, besides Nick? Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Anybody else ever tried to figure the "true-cost" of their Barth? (I mean, besides Nick? Big Grin

Very well done, Mr. Schiek. Your accountant would be proud of you.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Lee: I keep the mathamatics simple (kiss system).
I reviewed the children's inheritance fund and came to the conclusion that a shoe box wasn't necessary.............

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have less than 2.5X the price of my first house in my Barth... Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have less than 2.5X the price of my first house in my Barth

Geeze, from that perspective, my Barth is a real bargain.....cost me less than a third of my first house, AND it has more floor space to boot!

quote:
I reviewed the children's inheritance fund

Want to see the kids' eyes pop-out Carl?...Casually mention that you're thinking about a reverse-mortgage on the homestead! Eeker

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post