Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gettin' tired of the snow
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Here in East Tennessee, where it seldom snows at all, we've had snow on the ground almost continuously since Christmas night. For a while it was fun, maybe two days, and then it became a pain. Unlike most previous snows, it was preceded and then followed by an unprecedented time of cold weather. This past Sunday and Monday we received 9" and the daytime temps won't be above freezing until Sat and then only for one day. I read an explanation that it all has been caused by the jet stream taking a weird loop west and then south, and that this was caused by an upper lever arctic high that was in turn caused by melting of the polar ice cap. Whatever the reason, Key West sounds awfully good right now. But then, who would help feed the horses and dogs and cats? Luckily, I live with people who are 20 to 40 years younger than I am.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read an explanation that it all has been caused by the jet stream taking a weird loop west and then south, and that this was caused by an upper lever arctic high that was in turn caused by melting of the polar ice cap.

Translation: It's snowing in Tennessee due to Global Warming!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
BEST SNOW IN MID TN. IN QUITE AWHILE TOOK MY JEEP OUT ON MONDAY,IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim
There is a campground near Key West. The bad news is the winter rates are about $99. a night!!
Makes you wonder who stays there??
Keep warm.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Whatever the reason, Key West sounds awfully good right now.
Jim

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read an article on CNN.com that says there is currently snow in 49 states. That includes Hawaii, albeit on the top of the very high mountains. Only Florida does not have snow.

No need to ask why I moved here from NH is there?

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
The average snowfall in South Dakota in the month of Dec is 8" we presently have 24". Your right Jim, it fun for about 2 days (around Christmas).

Sounds like a Barth retirement/campground facility somewhere where they don't sell snow shovels would work!! Big Grin

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
As a snowaholic I am loving it. Walking through the quiet woods, enjoying the wood fireplace - only missing the ski slopes. And a snow plow. They must have forgotten our road. Got about 10 inches. We are on the plateau and always more snow than the bottom dwellers in Knoxville. Now if we only had not to go back to work ...
BTW I stayed at Bahia Honda Key State Park some years back and it cost $24/night (1989). But honestly I would miss winter. Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But honestly I would miss winter. Doris

You should revel in the fact that you have 48 more states and the entire country of Canada to enjoy.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a campground near Key West. The bad news is the winter rates are about $99. a night!!

Southernmost KOA is about 12 mi. from Key West. Very expensive and very crowded, but pretty nice.
Next up the road is Bahia Honda State Park, not sure of the rates but it's ok. Next big campground would be Sunshine CG, a non-English speaking CG last time I was by there. It's at the west end of 7 mile bridge. At the east end is Knights Key CG, expensive and kind of dumpy, but they have docks and a boat launch, which are gold down there. In the upper Keys Pennecamp State Park is in Key Largo, and there is a KOA there too I believe.
One thing to keep in mind if you head to the keys is you are trading off warm weather for being a foriegner, and I don't mean that in jest.
Back to the thread, it's cold again today, and by tonight Florida might be #50!!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
43° Now, and tonight and tomorrow night are expected to get down to mid- to low-20s.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I'm heading out to cover my tender plants and bring my herbs (real herbs, not the other stuff) in the house and the orchids on the porch. I think I'll make some soup for supper.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got a letter a year after I left Alaska. My friend said I left at the right time - that winter they had 8' of snow on top of 8' of ice.

I can't find the photo he sent of the house, but the driveway was a canyon with tunnels to folks' doorways. Fortunately, it was Navy base housing, and they used the runway snow blowers to keep the lanes open.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Speakin of snow, anybody know a good site to check flights tomorrow morning? Suzie has a non to Grand Rapids that leaves GR at 7 am to Port Charlotte, then her flight is at 10:30 to GR. I'd like to check the status of the flight coming down about 8 or so.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
This one looks pretty flexible, Danny, although I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.thirtythousandfeet.com/track.htm

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
anybody know a good site to check flights tomorrow morning?

Go to the airline's website that she is flying on. They will be the first to know the up to date status.