Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gaddafi
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Actually, Regan just repeated that quote:

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770
US diplomat & politician (1735 - 1826)

As far as food stamps - 39,000,000+ Americans are on food stamps. That is nothing to brush over or make light of.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Doug... certainly wasn't try to make light of it...simply correct it

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The internet, in all it's glory, gives us a forum such as this to discuss our love of Barths and RV's in general. It also gives everyone who wants to make up bull about anything they don't like a perfect forum. I wrote a large paragraph in this space, but I deleted it and wrote this instead.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
My momma always told me: two things you do not discuss in public...politics and religion. And I think that sentiment has been pretty right through most my life.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I commend you for printing your views even though I didn't completely agree with them.

You appropriately posted in the section that was labeled "express yourself". You didn't use bad language or write insensitively. You simply expressed yourself on a very timely subject which inspired much discussion. Quite frankly, it was good to see Barthmobile so active for a change!

Some websites are designed to be very topic specific, while some invite off-topic subjects. I've enjoyed B-M because it does inspire human interaction, almost like a cyber GTG.

If people don't want to discuss a certain subject, appropriately categorized, should they post that others shouldn't either??? It's a form of censorship which I don't agree with. Perhaps, if others are bothered by the openness, they should start a new category to discuss the appropriateness of sections that invite other discussions.

I've been to RV gatherings where topics or events popped up that I didn't care about or agree with, I simply walked away and found another group of interest or went back to my RV. Honestly, I don't change my mind easily as I get older, but this group has had more influence on me in thinking and acting than most other parts of my world. I think it's because I "respect" your opinions even when I can't always agree. It is also one of the very few places where I can find reasonable people with other world views. That's priceless cheers

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Do not judge another man unless you walked a mile in his shoes - at least you are one mile away and got his shoes.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
I have never been much of a social networker, but I have always enjoyed this forum for its kind, respectful, diverse and intellectually curious membership. The wealth of information that is archived here is second to none. The discussions are always informative.. sprinkled with some good natured ribbing, sometimes admittedly opinionated views but always civil and factual. I have always felt a little guilty that I have continuously received more good advice and information from everyone here than I will ever be able to give back. We all come from different areas of the country with different ages, backgrounds, walks of life and points of view… a true cross section of America. With our news filled with regurgitated sound bites and ridiculous polls it is often times hard to know what is factual, what is exaggeration, what is taken out of context or what is being said simply to stir people up for ratings. Therefore, I would agree with Corey, that although we all have our sensitive issues, on occasion, under the proper heading and with civil, factual discourse, a discussion of a current event may be helpful to all.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
The sooner we quit fearing opposing views, the sooner we may be able to make rational decisions. I am not offended when people don't agree with me. I appreciate them sharing their view. I may find new facts that will aid me in making a valid decision. Let's quit worrying about people not believing exactly the same as we do and just accept people for their ideas, even if they don't agree with us.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the merits of taking unilateral action in Libya, when the 'trouble' started, the US had one Navy ship in the Med, if the sources on the Imus radio show were correct.

And on the matter of self-interest, unless a force can go in fast and strong and secure the oil fields, the resultant economic trouble is going to worry any world decision maker. No one wants another scorched earth like Saddam left on his way out of Kuwait.

There are also stories that Khaddafy and Al Qaida did not get along well, and some of the rebellion might be at the behest of the radicals. Who knows....

I think George Washington is credited with the quote, 'Beware of foreign entanglements'. Sounds right to me. Or was that someone else?

Dreaming of $2 a gallon!!!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
.......some of the rebellion might be at the behest of the radicals. ........

That is my general fear of all this arab unrest. That radicals or fundamentalists might take over.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I really worried this could screw up the Paris-Dakar Rallye Mad

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Unrest and other issues have already caused the F1 Bahrain Grand Prix to be cancelled.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Corey, what Dakar rally are you referring to? The Dakar rally has been held in South America for 3 years because it's not sane to hold a race over there. It might not be to sane to hold it in S.America either, but at least I'd go if I had the chance.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/...kar-Rally-Recap.aspx

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, Ronald Reagan bombed Gadaffi's compound in 1987, losing one aircraft and two pilots. The Libyan sponsored terrorist attacks didn't stop and the UN condemned the action.

I learned about this attack far before most Americans - having gotten a call from the JCS War Room about actions of one of the participants in the (unrelated) logistics exercise I was directing at the time. Some Barthers have already heard the story, and I'd be happy to retell at any GTG. Ask me about what my duty Battle Watch Commander named, "The Night of the Long Knives."

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post