Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Electrical Theory, by Joe Lucas :)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical Theory, by Joe Lucas :)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
ELECTRICAL THEORY
BY JOSEPH LUCAS

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the
visible spectral manifestation known as “smoke”.

Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the
smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing.

For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated
and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such
as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and
inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak
and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they consumed large
quantities of smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch,
Japanese or American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak.
British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brake systems leak fluid, British tires leak
air and British Intelligence leaks national defense secrets.

Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a logical explanation
of the mysteries of electrical components especially British units manufactured by Joseph Lucas, Ltd.

And remember:

“A gentleman does not motor about after dark.” Joseph Lucas “The Prince of Darkness” 1842-1903

A few Lucas-defining quips:

The Lucas motto: “Get home before dark.”

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

Three-position Lucas switches; there are two types: DIM, FLICKER and OFF.
The other three switch settings available: SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.

Back in the ‘70s, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the
only product they offered which did not suck.

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?
A: Because Lucas makes refrigerators.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Did French and Italian cars use Lucas electric components?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?
A: Because Lucas makes refrigerators.

Q: Why are there no skyscrapers in London?
A: Because Lucas makes elevators.

Q. Who invented escalators?
A: Lucas, so a failure wouldn't trap anyone, like an elevator.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:

I know Alfa Romeo use Lucas electrics; don't know about the others.

"Lucas, Prince of Darkness"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know Alfa Romeo

I "knew" an Alfa Romero that had constant ignition and lighting problems.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Don't even get me started with the Triumph, BSA and Norton cycles... The famous Lucas zener diode "regulator"

Zener fails, voltage peaks, lights burn out seconds later followed by ignition coils... always at least 15 miles from anywhere!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5192 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
You guys are stealing my act.
As one who never fully matured,I am now down to a '62 Healey and two '65 t/c Cortinas.There does however seem to be a liberal sprinkling of MSD components and Bakelite connectors.

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Don't even get me started with the Triumph, BSA and Norton cycles... The famous Lucas zener diode "regulator"

Zener fails, voltage peaks, lights burn out seconds later followed by ignition coils... always at least 15 miles from anywhere!

My biggest complaint with Lucas on my Nortons was the K2F magneto. They could detect a cow taking a leak two pastures over, and would start to miss. I carried a bottle of alcohol to dry it out when it quit. Their design genius also placed the unreliable condenser inside the armature, which required the manufacture of special tools to take it apart, and required a set of live centers and a dial indicator to reassemble and align it correctly.

And you had to time both cylinders to split the timing error, as the cylinders never fired an honest 180 degrees apart. Joe Hunt used to make a good living converting antique Fairbanks Morse tractor magnetos to replace the Lucas abomination.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:

Fiat used Marelli a lot, and I have seen Marelli on some later Alfas.

Olroy might know about Citroens of yore.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
I will frame that one
Proud owner of two Jaguar XJS Tooling Along

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
not sure if you copied it or wrote it yourself

100% pure plagarism.....A pair of us were attempting to rebuild a Lucas magneto for
an aircraft engine.....true-to-form, the Bakelite pieces disintegrated once we touched them.....
A Google search for Lucas parts brought this little article with it.....Thought it was funny enough
(and true enough!) to pass on.......

It's also been said that Lucas was a secret agent for the Luftwaffe Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
it is not Click brilliant to pet a burning dog.

Wise words say you, Buckeye.

Yoda

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Over time, reading many posts on this site has created a reverential sense of awe in me for the wealth of knowledge and experience present. Case in point: Lucas. Never heard of them. Had to research and read the whole Joseph Lucas history on Wikipedia - as usual. Now I understand better.

It's nice to be in smart company. Maybe I should have owned a Norton instead of a Honda at age 16. cheers

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk & Elise:
Maybe I should have owned a Norton instead of a Honda at age 16. cheers

Kirk

I dunno.............I had more fun than my Honda-riding acquaintances, but they had more riding time, even though we considered their bikes appliances, rather than true motorcycles.

You know, you met the nicest people on a Honda (so went the advertisement), but they were not as interesting as Euro bike riders. Kinda like the differences between Barth owners and stick and staple motor homers.

Kinda like how a steam locomotive aficionado looks at diesel/electric locomotives.

Or, whether you consider life a destination or a journey.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
a few years old...
but some things are timeless:
http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post