Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    My little girl wanted a few fish...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My little girl wanted a few fish...
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
The other day my kids and I were shopping at the local PetSmart (or is it PetsMart) for crickets for my son's 8 Green Anoles that he caught in North Carolina. My daughter decided that she wanted a few fish for "Herself".

Not trying to be mean, I told her no. She didn't need any fish. Besides, the stray cat that adopted us is in the house and she sleeps with her. So, she really didn't need another pet.

She told me the fish that she wanted cost just .14¢ and she would buy it herself. Ok then, they're cheap enough and it wasn't costing me anything so why not? She purchased 2 fish and promptly named them Cliff and Fred.

I looked at the fish as they sat in the bag and thought to myself. "Why would she want these things?" They looked like the fish they give out at County Fairs for sinking a ping pong ball in a cup.

Here's are a few pictures of Cliff and Fred being acclimated to the climate of the house.

Yes, my daughter bought these "Pets" for her cat. Can you imagine someone purchasing a pet for their pet?

By the time I figured out what was going on, Fred was dead. Cliff lives on but now has a cover over the top of his bowl.

My daughter thinks that because they're "Feeder Fish" that this is what they were bred for. How do I explain to her that the Crickets we purchase for the Anoles is different then purchasing fish for a cat? hmm I think she won that argument... Big Grin

Parenting 101 - I think I failed. Apologies to those who blew coffee out their nose. ROTFLMAO

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Bill: All I can say is "PRICELESS:.......................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
Awesome. I used to buy guppies for my tiger fish.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Lucky cat! My cat will actually put front feet in the water at our beach to swat minnows. I put some in a washtub in about an inch of water. He had a blast with those!

It's not easy being a "pet" fish... (some days you're the dog, some days you're the tree!) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5190 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I called my own cat, Norman, to ask about the situation, and his reply was, "Only two???"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Rusty, what does you kat think about those two dawgs?

I have a Betta named Oscar. I have a cover over the tank as my two cats sit on my desk and gaze at that fish.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway XL

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Considering the price tag of those "Fancy Feast" cat food cans actually 14c a fish might be a bargain. Personally I am guilty of bringing my cat some mice we were breeding at school for snakefood as playpals. Needless to say my mom was less than delighted. But my friend was telling me my cat was deprived of huntimg since he was a indoor cat. He stalked my parakeet and on one occassion he got the birdcage down and grabbed what he thought was the bird. My dad found the food bowl next day in his shoes next day. The bird lived on to the ripe old age of about 15.
Feeder Fish Smiler
For the folks crinching at this - it is just like these lobster tanks at restaurants...

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
For these photos to exist, my daughter & son might have thought that this was "Fun". Not really good in the grand scheme of things if it was for their pleasure.

So I asked them and I was pretty happy with her response.

She was very matter of fact that the "Feeder Fish" aspect was what got her to do this. She knows that our cat, Smores, loves to hunt/play with the field mice and makes it a sport hunting them. You really can't make a cat a vegetarian, so why not let her eat fresh seafood. And, at .14¢ a serving, you've got some pretty cheap sushi & a show. Big Grin

Am I raising kids without souls? I think not. Am I going to take them for psych evaluations? Nope.

And, lets face it, you really can't get a better picture than a cat licking a paw over a fishbowl. Thumbs Up Perhaps I'm raising a future wildlife photographer. Who knows... Computer

But, knowing what's in store for Cliff. Well... Ooops

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom taylor:
Rusty, what does you kat think about those two dawgs?

I have a Betta named Oscar. I have a cover over the tank as my two cats sit on my desk and gaze at that fish.

Norman gets along great with the dogs - and he's great buds with Nelson. We had 7 Goldens when we got him as a very small kitten - he thought arranging dog fur was great sport.

I had a betta "Old Blue" for a umber of years.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about your kids at all.. It sounds like they are well grounded in reality.

I worry about the ones who abhor "hunting and killing" but still eat meat! Sorry kids, beef and pork and chicken don't grow on trees. Modern society has been very effective in removing the grisly side of food preparation from our sight, maybe too effective.

I definitely worry a lot about those who find it entertaining, though.

I knew society was changing when I was in high school and a neighbor's dog was hit by a car. He shot it with a pistol to put it down, and got a ticket for discharging a firearm in city limits...

Reality isn't always pretty but it sure beats Hollywood and politics.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5190 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
What no highschool trips to the slaughterhouses in Greely CO to see 4000 bovines become hamburgers in a days work? Or a fieldtrip to see 1000s of cows crammed kneedeep in muck on a feedlot (and the smell). Or the even more horrifying chickens in cages riding on a truck going to the killhouse. Makes me want to be vegan. Honestly I believe a deer grazing in a meadow killed quickly by a good hunter has it better.
Sooo that food in the can was alive at one time too.

All that darkness aside who can resist a cute kitty fishing?

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Buy her a lion and feed it congressmen. I like goldfish!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post