Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Mystery switch on Breakaway
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mystery switch on Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
We have a 94 30ft, Breakaway 3116 cat/ allison/ Gillig (new to us) and I am trying to identify a lighted rocker switch located on the left side of driver between Allison control panel and HWH leveling control. Previous owner thought it had some function over air ride but I don't notice anything when its activated or what it should do. Any help from other Breakaway owners would be appreciated..be patient with me as I'll probably have lots more questions

------------------
Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gebeclh
posted Hide Post
beeoh--

We have a 92 30ft, Breakaway new to us last April. I understand fully what you are going through, trying to figure out what does what and what controls this and that. It is an adventure and a learning experience.

We also had a mystery switch in the location you described. Couldn't figure out what it did or controled, until one night I accidently hit that mystery switch and the marker lights went off when depressed and back on when released. Then it dawned on me its intent. OK eighteen wheeler you have room to pull over now.

Give that switch a try after dark with your running lights on, you might be suprised like I was.

I still have one mystery switch in the bathroom to figure out yet. It's on the wall opposite the sink. As of yet it controls nothing. I think it is suposed to control the ceiling fan but not sure. That fan needs replacing anyway, as it doesn't work. So when I put in the new one, I am expecting that switch to start working.

Hope your having fun figuring everything out, we sure are. There isn't much Barth didn't think of. These sure are great coaches.

------------------
"The Moose Is Loose"

Posts: 16 | Location: Coon Rapids, Mn, USA | Member Since: 04-13-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"I still have one mystery switch in the bathroom to figure out yet. It's on the wall opposite the sink. As of yet it controls nothing. I think it is suposed to control the ceiling fan but not sure. That fan needs replacing anyway, as it doesn't work. So when I put in the new one, I am expecting that switch to start working"........

- - - - - - -

Our units are eons apart in vintage and class, but I had a mystery switch in the bathroom too....Always used switch on the ceiling fixture...Then one day I flipped the wall switch while the ceiling light was ON and it went OFF....Just another way to run ceiling light...Only a year or so to learn

If you think it's for fan, a simple continuity check of motor leads will tell, even if motor is the problem.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ours has a switch for the overhead light on the bathroom wall above the sink. If you leave it on and operate the overhead light by the switch on it, the one on the wall is a mystery switch.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Kip, that's a big 10-4 come on.

Any one else had trouble with that bathroom light blowing bulbs. I have to do something anyway, we need way more light in there if we aren't to smear our lipstick.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The switch on the bathroom wall opposite the sink in our 94 Breakaway is for the heat blankets on the water tanks. They are used for sub-freezing operation. It is not real obvious why the switch was ever located there.

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
mystery switch doesn't seem to have control over running lights, but thanks anyway .When key is on run I can hear switch activating a relay somewhere. Our heat blankets have switching above driver under oh cabinets next to block heater switch (see, I have figured some of them out)Our bath room fan and light are switched from the side of the vanity facing toilet along with a pump switch/ shower light and vanity mirror lights (I'm going to try and move mirror lights to a wall switch to be more accessible).

------------------
Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I think I have all but one of my "switches" identified.

The mystery switch is located above the mid-ship entry door. It's a regular household switch with an indicator lamp.

...no idea what it does???

Robin McCullough
1990 32' Regency DP

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
One of the switches by my door activates the lighted outside grab handle. If the bulb fails, it is a "mystery switch".

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
...2 side-by-side switches "next" to the door illuminate the handle and the step "entry" lights.

The switch [with indicator lamp] above the door [adjacent to the "status panel"] remains a mystery...

rM

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My mystery switch by the side door was driving me crazy so I took off the panel. It went to nothing!

I had another switch in the dash that went to a starter helper solenoid. It seems that this coach has a momentary rocker switch that if you have low voltage to the starter you push it the coach batteries will help you crank it over.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gebeclh
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I can't believe YOU have forced Deb to put lip stick on in the dark. Let's brighten that Jon up for your better half. She deserves everything she can talk you into.

Later,

Kip

------------------
"The Moose Is Loose"

Posts: 16 | Location: Coon Rapids, Mn, USA | Member Since: 04-13-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Medic37

The switch over the entry door (regular toggle switch with indicator light) operates the electric heater in the water compartment in my coach. There is a small round Dayton electric heater in the water compartment that is plugged into a temp controlled outlet that kicks on at 44 degrees F. The switch powers that outlet and the indicator light is on when the switch is in the on position. You need to be plugged in to 120 volts for that system to work.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill G.

...as of today, I now have ALL switches accounted-for!

Too-bad it's going to be Winter and I won't be enjoying all this new information "now".

Oh well... It certainly makes next Spring all that more interesting!

Medic37

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
" ... It certainly makes next Spring all that more interesting!"

MINNESOTA? Let's see...Spring arrives there when? Late May?? Join your Scandihoovian neighbors and spend Jan-Feb-Mar in the Rio Grande Valley; you'll have Spring two of those months and arrive back home for another.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post