Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Outside mirror vibration
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Outside mirror vibration
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Has anyone done anything to stiffen up the the mounting of the outside mirrors? Looks like it might be a PITA to get at the inside mounting area for a gusset--any ideas?

Mine vibrates badly and the images are quite hard to see. The mirrors are fasteners are tight but there is just enough movement in the skin to allow some mirror shake.

One more question--
Looks like there have been 3 antennas on the top near the front, The radio antenna is on the drivers side, the CB antenna is in the middle and there is a plate with something that has broken off on the right side. was this for a cell phone antenna? How hard is it to get to those areas?

Thanks for any advise, have a great weekend.

Ed

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 94 Breakaway has the same mirror vibration on the pass. side but it hasn't bothered me enough to tear into it. Keep us posted on your fix.
The right hand antenna on the 94 was for a cell phone. I removed it and attempted to pull the satelite lead for the XM radio down from the roof using the phone lead as a snake. It didn't work as it was apparently fastened above the headliner. I finally drilled into the overhead cabinet above the entry door and ran the lead from there down the windshield pillar (inside the uphostery and under the dash pad. I put a steel plate in place of the phone antenna to hold the magnetic satellite receiver. The XM radio works great in the Barth.
Stu

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your info, mine is bad enough that it is annoying and I will be searching for a fix. Drivers side looks easier.

Thanks for the info on the cell antenna, I will have to investigate further, I have a side entrance and it looks like it is back far enough to be an issue. I plan to go slowly on this.

I am also looking for a place for my GPS receiver antenna, first run with it doesn't work well on the dash, need better view of the sky.

Will keep you posted on the mirror fix.

------------------
Ed
94 Breakaway

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
MWrench,

The mirror on the passenger side of my Barth had too much vibration for me. I corrected the problem by fastening the mirror more securely to the plywood backer located behind the outer skin.

This was done by boring 5/16" holes through the panel and installing "tee nuts" on the back side of the panel and screwing a stainless steel 1/4-20 bolt through from the front of the bracket. This allowed me to really tighten the mirror bracket and eliminated the vibration.

Not a very big job, it just required a little effort to get to the back side of the panel which was accessible from under the dash.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem on the driver's side - that's going to be one of my first prjects...

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post