Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Towing a vehicle-Pros and Cons??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Towing a vehicle-Pros and Cons??
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
This is just a WAG, but I would predict problems towing a golf cart wheels-down at highway speeds. Ona trailer? No doubt OK, but like a dolly, what do you do with it when you park?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Some closed communities like Sun City allow golf carts as a main form of transportation on their city streets, but you couldn't drive golf cart in down town Phoenix I wouldn't believe. So they aren't a very practical tow vehicle.

One can buy a Saturn, or Tracker at a very reasonable price and they are totally towable 4 down even with automatics. As is the Chevy Cavalier, which is also the pontiac Sunbird I think. You can get these for a song and they are perfect dinghy's and way under 3500 lbs.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 05, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my limited RV-ing I have not found any park that will not allow a dolly or trailer. I am sure there are some, but I have not seen such. The nice thing about a trailer is that you can back up. Long rigs present a problem in strange areas as you don't always know if you have room to turn around, and with a trailer at least you can back up. A golf cart wheel bearing just won't take highway speeds. I have a tow dolly, but am considering going to a very small car and trailer. Anyone feel that parking a trailer or dolly at a site is a real problem? I have an MGA and a small trailer would allow for backing. Comments??? Dale P.S. I know you can unhook a tow bar in quick order and how many of you all have done such when stuck with no place to turn around? Thanks.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Dale,

Deb and I have been in situations twice in "Stop n' Go" gas stations where we just couldn't make the turn. Deb hops out, unhooks the car, backs the car up, I back the coach up to the car. She hooks the car up. Then not because she doesn't do it perfect every time but for safety purposes. I walk back, check all connections, make sure the hand brake is off, and the steering wheel is free and then we are off. We have never seen this as enough of a problem to even worry about it.

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Terry B>
posted
Whats the deal with starting the vehicle every 200 mi?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dale,

I have talked to numerous people about dollies, trailers and towing four down. From my limited observations, it appears that trailers and dollies are frequently difficult to store or are just inconvenient to place once you have removed the car. Placing a dolly or trailer using your coach will present problems because it is not as maneuverable as a smaller vehicle. Keeping them at the site is not always possible.

The preferred method by far from experienced towers is towing four down as there is little to do and nothing to store. Even hook up is simpler, especially if you choose a dolly.

The issue with a toad is finding one that does not need aftermarket devices like lube pumps or axle disconnects. It is also strongly recommended that the toad have an auxiliary braking system like Brake Buddy.

Saturn seems to be the premiere toad, but the Tracker and most Honda's are also popular. Check some of the other forums like IRV2 or SKP's for much more discussion on this topic. You will find much to inform you.

Bill

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good info. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Terry,

Some car manufacturers, but not all by any means require that if you tow their vehicles four down (four wheels on the ground and no dolly) you start the vehicle up every once and awhile so the tranny fluid can circulate. Don't hold me to this but I bet 9 out of 10 never do this. One of the reasons is because most folks don't like to drive more than 4 hours a day anyway and at 70 mph that is only 280 miles anyway.

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We tow our 4Runner 4 down, and back up when in a jam. It can be done if you don't need to turn very much. Wife gets out with radio and watches for jacknife limit.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Terry B>
posted
Thanks Dave, that makes since. I never thought about starting the toad every 200 mi. I'm thinking about getting a daily driver pickup and towing it when needed (seldom). Any recommendations? I'm looking at a Ford Ranger...

<ReadyBrake>
posted
I was informed that your forum had someone who needed a question answered about towing vehicles behind "The Barth!". Well, I couldn't find this question speceifically. So, if you know of it please reply and tell them this information is here.
For General Information try:
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/
http://www.remcotowing.com/tips.asp
For ReadyBrake and Ready Brute information,
(Ready Brute is the tow bar with the ReadyBrake in it.):
http://www.readybrake.com/
Putnam makes a Universal Motorhome Receiver Hitch available at:
http://www.putnamhitch.com/
http://www.car2rv.com/
Standard vehicle baseplates are manufactured by Blue-Ox, Demco, and Roadmaster.
I hope this answers the question that needed answering ????????
I am putting a link into ReadyBrake.com for this web site because it is a nice site which addresses an RV interest. I am not here to sell. If there is another question that I might be helpful with please email me and let me know specifically where it is.