Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Towing a vehicle-Pros and Cons??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Towing a vehicle-Pros and Cons??
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Buy a dog.

He/she will need to go out every 200 miles, so you can make an event of it.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Linda: I tow a Honda CRV (99) and the manual says to do the same thing every 200 miles.....Well it can be done at 150 miles or 250 miles... I have even pulled mine for 300 miles without starting it and running it thru the gears..... 200 is just a mark to shoot for...of course, we usually find a rest area and take a break about every 150 miles anyway.... stretch the old frame for a few...and while I stretch the car runs with the door open (a reminder to shut off the engine)...
Luck to you...Al

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My experience with the Suzuki Sport Sidekick Tracker clone, parallels Al's. I've missed a time or two, with no apparent ill effect. I just try to remember to do it every time we stop and get out. I've missed once or twice, still never exceeded 300 miles, or so.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the Tracker/Suzuki have to have manual hubs in order to be towed....I looked at the dinghy guide and it indicated it did but not sure if it is for all years?

Posts: 75 | Location: Ontario CANADA | Member Since: 09-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Does anyone have any of the old requirements for BMW - I found a really nice 1991 318i today and it is manual tranny and has all the bells and whistles - looks quite good and reasonable price and I have never owned a BMW yet - but can only find a reference that says 'all have to be started at 200 miles" and no specific model weights so I don't know the weight of it and if it can be towed - looked at Towing World and got the info they had and that doesn't tell me about an old Beamer.
Any info anyone can offer would be appreciated.
Linda

Posts: 75 | Location: Ontario CANADA | Member Since: 09-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Most manual trannys can be towed wheels down without modification.

I'm told that Beamers cost an arm and a leg to repair.

You'd probably have to have a custom made base plate. I doubt that anyone would have one prefabricated, you don't see many BMWs behind motorhomes.

But all this is just opinion.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Anyone here have experieince towing a '79 VW Convertible or something very similar? We currently tow the Explorer but would like some options from time to time. Also, have thought of towing a car trailer and then could haul darn near anything with wheels and also just load on a scooter, bike or whatever. Trailering experience?

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
No actual experience, but a few years ago beetle toads were about as common as Saturns are today.

As to trailering, what do you do with the trailer after you've parked the rig and unloaded the car? That would be the killer for me.

posted Hide Post
Well - we found a 1999 Saturn with 63000 miles on it and it is a 4 door sedan style and there is just enough head room for my husband and he can sit in it - not as comfy as in our daily vehicles, but enough for him to go around here and there in when we travel - so we are out to buy it today. Also found a used Blue Ox tow bar in Western Canada that I can get shipped here and save myself $300, and a used base plate. There isn't much available in Ontario - but in USA and western Canada there are some to be had. Took me a lot of searching on-line and a lot of checking, but it has been found finally.....

Thanks so much for the input and support - I finally have a vehicle that is as light as I can get and a tow bar so we are all set!

posted Hide Post
After all that, we didn't get the Saturn! I am about frazzled with this toad idea - think I will just stay in the Barth and enjoy it - I am going to leave the toad business to my husband and if he can find one and get it ready to tow, great....I am about fed up with car dealers - they have a car, you see it, and then it is gone but no one seems to know where - it seemingly evaporates and they try to sell us something we aren't interested in - my husband calls it the 'bait and switch' but whatever it is, the weather up here is not conducive to wandering around car lot after car lot getting wet and blown away....even the salesmen don't come out to see if they can help us or open a car so we can sit in it or see the mileage etc or tell us the price - we sometimes can't even find the sales people - they are either in the mechanic bay or out to lunch, smoking out back or ? So - the toad is in the air and I am still not sure if we will find one or not!
We called about a 1999 Sunfire - my husband will go see it and maybe we will get it - who knows anymore! My bicycle will do the trick for me!

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Look at Chev Cavalier, think they can be towed.

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FINALLY!!! We have purchased a 1999 Olds Sunfire (similar to a Cavalier) with low mileage - about 2600 lbs so it is light enough and can be towed four wheels down with auto tranny - and it has air which we will need in the hot sunny south. It gives Dave enough head room and wide enough for him to sit comfortably...not as comfy as the Barth or his truck, but good enough for a toad which we will use only a bit.
I located a tow bar Aventa II and a Blue Ox base plate is being ordered in so we will have this all ready to go just after Christmas.

We didn't get a Brake Buddy as we hope it will tow and brake ok - not sure if we need one, but we could always get one when we get into USA if we need it. We could buy one on Ebay and have it sent to friends or relatives in USA and pick it up there. That would make it a reasonable price as up here they cost $2000.00 plus 15% taxes and that is a wild price for it.

Thanks again for all the input. Where else could one find out so much in such a short time and from friends who have something in common that binds them together! This has been a real learning experience. I will keep on learning from this site definitely!

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Toad brakes are a good thing.

Kansas North Dakota, New York, North Carolina, California, Idaho, Nevada, Tenessee, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Ohio, Utah, and Georgia reqiore them on any toad over 2500 lbs.

Alberta and Manitoba, too. As for Newfoundland, well, the law reads like a Newfie joke.

Some policemen in some states may grant you reciprocity, but many don't even know what it is, let alone if their state grants it.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/LawsUS.shtml

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Heed Bill H's advice. Even with just 2600 lbs. on behind, there's a significant increase in stopping distance without toad brakes. Try it without the car behind and with it. You'll see what I mean.

They could be the difference between a safe emergency stop and an accident which, in a jurisdiction in which they're required, could put you in very deep do-do with the law, not to mention your insurance co.

posted Hide Post
I am a motor home owner wannabe and the only one we have looked at is the Barth in Albuquerque at the Rocky Mountain RV place. We did not buy since it is only the first one seen. Not sure where this will take us. At any rate I have some questions and comments. First, I do have some experience with towing and have found that even a 1000# towed load will noticeably affect stopping distance even if the load is not noticeable upon acceleration or cruising. So.....I would urge brakes on the toad. Definitely. This is the "off the wall" question. Has anyone in the group ever considered a golf cart? I don't know enough about golf carts to know if they can be towed, but have seen them here in AZ a lot and many on the streets with license plates. They are light and inexpensive. I am not advocating using a golf cart, but interested in comments from those with more experience than I. Thanks.

------------------
Jack

Posts: 2 | Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI and Fountain Hills, AZ | Member Since: 11-27-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post